For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, will be limited. Select races will be covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
|Iowa State Senate District 42|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|Place of birth||West Davenport, IA|
Hamerlinck earned his B.A. from Loras College. He went on to receive his M.A. from Loyola University.
Hamerlinck has worked as Adjunct Professor for both Black Hawk College and Augustana College. He is currently a Youth Field Specialist for Iowa State University Extension.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Hamerlinck served on these committees:
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Hamerlinck served on these committees:
- Economic Growth Committee, Iowa State Senate
- Education Committee, Iowa State Senate
- Local Government Committee, Iowa State Senate
- Rebuild Iowa Committee, Iowa State Senate
- Ways and Means Committee, Iowa State Senate
- See also: Iowa State Senate elections, 2012
Hamerlinck ran for re-election to the Iowa State Senate in 2012. Due to redistricting, he ran in District 46. Hamerlinck defeated District 40 incumbent Jim Hahn in the Republican primary on June 5, 2012. Hamerlinck was defeated by Chris Brase (D) in the general election on November 6, 2012.
|Iowa State Senate, District 46, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Shawn Hamerlinck Incumbent||46.6%||13,950|
|Iowa State Senate, District 46 Republican Primary, 2012|
|Shawn Hamerlinck Incumbent||60.9%||1,476|
|Jim Hahn Incumbent||39.1%||947|
Going into the primary both Hamerlinck and Hahn acknowledged that their ideology is the same but Hamerlinck painted himself as a more pro-active lawmaker, stating, “We may have the same ideology and vote the exact same way most of the time. But before the vote ever happens on the Senate floor, someone has to write the bill. That’s what I do.”
On November 4, 2008, Hamerlinck was elected to the 42nd District Seat in the Iowa State Senate, defeating Frank B. Wood (D). Hamerlinck raised $90,939 for his campaign, while Wood raised $292,279.
|Iowa State Senate, District 42 (2008)|
|Shawn Hamerlinck (R)||16,447|
|Frank B. Wood (D)||16,063|
In 2008 Hamerlinck collected $90,939 in donations.
His four largest contributors were:
|Iowa Republican Party||$57,699|
|Iowans for Tax Relief||$10,000|
|Iowa Association of Business and Industry||$2,000|
Hamerlinck and his wife, Melissa, have three children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Shawn + Hamerlinck + Iowa + Senate
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Official campaign website
- Official Iowa State Senate website of Shawn Hamerlinck
- Iowa Senate Republicans Profile
- Imagine Election Profile
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative Profile from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2008
- Newt Gingrich 2012, "Team of 55 Iowans Back Newt Gingrich for President," December 15, 2011 (dead link)
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Official Primary Results," accessed October 1, 2014
- Iowa Department of Elections, "2012 Primary Candidates," accessed April 17, 2012
- Muscatine Journal, "Drawing the battle lines: Redistricting may have thrown fellow Republicans Hahn and Hamerlinck together as rivals, but they want to make sure voters know there’s still a choice," May 28, 2012
- Iowa Secretary of State, "2008 Official election results," accessed April 7, 2014
- Follow The Money, "Money Raised by Iowa Candidates in 2008," accessed April 7, 2014
- 2008 contributions to Shawn Hamerlinck
Frank B. Wood
|Iowa State Senate District 42
| Succeeded by|
Rich Taylor (D)