Sheila Whitley recall, Atwater School Board, California (2012)
Reasons for recall
Roger Wood, a former board member, served as the spokesman for recall organizers. The catalyst for recall was a school board vote in which Whitley and two other board members voted to fire Superintendent Melinda Hennes. The Merced County District Attorney is investigating whether open meetings laws were violated in conjunction with the firing of Hennes.
Path to the ballot
Whitley was served the notice of intention to recall on May 25. 300 signatures of Area 4 voters needed to be submitted in order to trigger a recall election. Recall organizers submitted signatures at the end of June, and sufficient signatures were found to be valid. Whitley resigned from the board on July 27, but the recall election moved forward since the recall question had already qualified for the ballot. After the signatures were certified, the school district had 88 to 125 days to schedule a recall election. A recall election was scheduled for October 16, 2012. Whitley ran against replacement candidate Larry Whitney. Whitley was recalled from office and replaced with Larry Whitney.
- Merced Sun Star, "Recall set for Atwater trustee," July 13, 2012
- Fresno Bee, "Atwater votes to replace school board trustee," October 18, 2012
- Fresno Bee, "Firing of Atwater schools chief triggers recall bid," May 26, 2012
- Merced Sun Star, "Atwater firing to be investigated," June 6, 2012
- Merced Sun Star, "Atwater school board votes a draw," June 15, 2012
- Merced Sun Star, "Timing up in air for Atwater trustee recall election," June 27, 2012
- Merced County Official Elections Information, "October 16, 2012 Atwater Elementary School Recall"