|Sollie B. Norwood|
|Mississippi State Senate, District 28|
|March 4, 2013 - present|
|January 12, 2016|
|Years in position||2|
|Elections and appointments|
|First elected||February 26, 2013|
|Next general||November 3, 2015|
In the 2012-2013 legislative session, Norwood served on the following committees:
|Mississippi Committee Assignments, 2012|
|• Interstate and Federal Cooperation|
Elections for the office of Mississippi State Senate will take place in 2015. A primary election will be held on August 4, 2015, and the general election November 3, 2015. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was February 27, 2015.
Norwood won election in the special election for District 28 of the Mississippi State Senate. The seat was vacant following the death of Alice Harden (D) on December 6, 2012. Norwood faced Cindy Ayers-Elliott, Tamarra Grace Butler, Marshand Crisler, Antonio Porter, James "Jimmy" Stewart, Kathy L. Sykes, Tommy L. Wallace, II and Cassanda Welchlin in the special election on February 5, 2013. Candidates had until January 7 to file. Special elections in Mississippi are nonpartisan. As no candidate took over 50 percent of the vote, the top two vote-getters - Crisler and Norwood - met in a runoff on February 26, which Norwood won.
|Mississippi State Senate, District 28, Special Election Runoff, 2013|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
In 2014, the Legislature was in session from January 7 through April 2.
- Business and Industry Political Education Committee: Legislator "Business and Jobs" Report Card
- Legislators are scored on "economic growth, jobs and other broad job-related issues."
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term Sollie + Norwood + Mississippi + Senate
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Mississippi State Legislature
- Mississippi State Senate
- Senate Committees
- Joint Committees
- Mississippi state legislative districts
- SunHerald.com, "Miss. Senate inaugurates Jackson Democrat Norwood," March 4, 2013
- Mississippi Secretary of State, "2015 Elections Calendar," accessed December 2, 2014
- Clarion Ledger, "Sollie Norwood Defeats Marshand Crisler In Special Election For State Senate," February 26, 2013
- Clarion Ledger, "State Sen. Alice Harden dies at 64," December 6, 2012
- Clarion Ledger, "Bryant sets Senate 28 special election," December 18, 2012
- Mississippi Secretary of State, " 2013 candidate qualifying list," accessed January 11, 2013
- Fox 10tv.com, "Runoff scheduled in Senate District 28," February 6, 2013 (dead link)
- sos.ms.gov, "Official special election results," accessed November 15, 2013
- sos.ms.gov, "Official runoff results," accessed November 15, 2013
- StateScape, "Session Schedules," accessed July 29, 2014
- Business and Industry Political Education Committee, "Legislator 'Business & Jobs' Report Card - 2014 Legislative Session," accessed August 30, 2014
Alice Harden (D)
|Mississippi State Senate District 28
| Succeeded by|