South Carolina Commissioner of Agriculture
|South Carolina Commissioner of Agriculture|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2012-2013 FY Budget:||$14,654,886|
|Length of term:||4 years|
|Authority:||South Carolina Constitution, Article VI, Section 7|
|Assumed office:||January 2005|
|Next election:||November 4, 2014|
|Last election:||November 2, 2010|
|Other South Carolina Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Comptroller • Attorney General • Treasurer • Auditor • Adjutant General • Inspector General • Superintendent of Education • Agriculture Commissioner • Insurance Commissioner • Natural Resources Commissioner • Labor Commissioner • Public Service Commission|
The current officeholder is Hugh Weathers (R). He has served in this position since September 2004.
Article VI, Section 7:
|There shall be elected by the qualified voters of the State a Secretary of State, an Attorney General, a Treasurer, a Superintendent of Education, Comptroller General, Commissioner of Agriculture, and an Adjutant General who shall hold their respective offices for a term of four years, coterminous with that of the Governor. The duties and compensation of such offices shall be prescribed by law and their compensation shall be neither increased nor diminished during the period for which they shall have been elected.|
The qualifications of office were established by the state legislature in 1904:
|"the qualifications of a good moral character and a competent knowledge of matters of immigration, manufacturing, publicity and general industries."|
- good moral character
- competent knowledge of matters of immigration, manufacturing, publicity and general industries
Article VI, Section 7 of the state constitution stipulates the agriculture commissioner will be elected every four years, to a term of four year term. The commissioner, like South Carolina's other executive officials, is elected in mid-term elections: 2010, 2014, and 2018.
In the event of a vacancy, the governor appoints a successor for the remainder of the unexpired term.
State law sets out three main duties of the Commissioner:
- (1) Be charged with all work looking to the promotion of agriculture and cattle raising, including the collection and publication of information in regard to localities, character, accessibility, cost and modes of utilization of soils and, more specifically, the inducement of capital to invest in agriculture and cattle raising by the dissemination of information relative to the advantages of soil and climate and other natural resources of the State;
- (2) Collect from the farmers and landowners of the State and list information as to lands, stating the number of acres, the location and the terms upon which they may be bought; and
- (3) Keep a land registry and in connection therewith from time to time issue a publication descriptive of such listed agricultural, forest and trucking lands as may be offered to the Department for sale or share, such publication to be in an attractive form, setting forth the county, township, number of acres, names and addresses of owners and such other information as may be helpful in placing inquiring homeseekers in communication with the landowners.
- Office of the Commissioner
- Administrative Services
- Agricultural Services
- Laboratory and Consumer Services
The budget for the Department of Agriculture in Fiscal Year 2012-2013 was $14,654,886.
South Carolina Department of Agriculture
P.O. Box 11280
Columbia, SC 29211
Phone: (803) 734-2210
Fax: (803) 734-2192