South Dakota 1898 ballot measures
November 8, 1898 ballot in South Dakota.Three statewide ballot measures were on the
- All three measures were legislatively-referred constitutional amendments.
- Two of the measures were approved and one was defeated.
- One of the measures created the initiative and referendum process for South Dakota, though none would come to the ballot until 1908.
On the ballot
|Woman's Suffrage Referendum||Suffrage||Removes the word "male" from constitutional language regarding suffrage|
|State Control of Liquor Referendum||Alcohol||Gives the state exclusive control of the manufacture and sale of intoxicating liquors|
|Direct Democracy Referendum||Direct Democracy||Creates initiative and referendum process|
- 1898 ballot measures
- List of South Dakota ballot measures
- History of Initiative & Referendum in South Dakota
- South Dakota Political Almanac, Table 7. Results of Elections Concerning State Constitutional Amendments and Initiated and Referred Laws, 1889-1968