For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
South Dakota 2012 ballot measures
Seven ballot measures were certified for the 2012 ballot in the state of South Dakota.
- All but two of the measures were defeated.
- Supporters of proposed citizen initiatives had until the November 1, 2011 petition drive deadline to collect 15,854 for initiated state statutes.
- The 2012 state legislative session began on January 10, 2012 and ended in mid-March of 2012. Legislative referrals could have been sent to the 2012 ballot during this time.
On the ballot
|Constitutional Amendment M||Constitutions||Deals with modernizing language dealing with corporations in the state.|
|Constitutional Amendment N||Admin. of gov't.||Strikes a travel reimbursement provision from the state constitution.|
|Constitutional Amendment O||State budgets||Changes amount taken each year from state cement-plant trust fund.|
|Constitutional Amendment P||State legislatures||Places language in the state constitution saying that the budget must be balanced.|
|VR||Referred Law 14||Taxes||Dedicates part of tax revenues for grants to some business projects in the state.|
|VR||Referred Law 16||Labor||Blocks a bill that would ban tenure and give bonuses to top teachers among other provisions.|
|CISS||Initiated Measure 15||Taxes||Implements a one-percent sales tax increase.|
Not on the ballot
|BI||Elector Determination Process Initiative||Elections||Would change the process of determining electors for Electoral College.|
|Term Extension Amendment||Admin. of gov't.||The measure would extend the terms state legislators can serve.|
Local ballot measures
- See also: Local ballot measure elections in 2012
No local measures have been identified for 2012. Read about local happenings here.
- Associated Press, "Teachers urged to quit SD reform law referral; superintendents want their focus elsewhere," April 6, 2012
- The Daily Republic, "Petitions delivered to put state's grants to businesses on the ballot," June 28, 2011
- Legislative review only done in states where the indirect initiative process is implemented.