Attorney General of South Dakota
|South Dakota Attorney General|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2013 FY Budget:||$21,498,844|
|Authority:||South Dakota Constitution, Article 4, Section 7|
|Name:||Marty J. Jackley|
|Assumed office:||September 4, 2009|
|Next election:||November 4, 2014|
|Last election:||November 2, 2010|
|Other South Dakota Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Auditor • Superintendent of Education • Agriculture Commissioner • Insurance Commissioner • Natural Resources Commissioner • Labor Commissioner • Public Service Commission|
Article IV, Section 7:
|There shall be chosen by the qualified electors of the state at the general election of the Governor and every four years thereafter the following constitutional officers: attorney general, secretary of state, auditor, treasurer, and commissioner of school and public lands, who shall severally hold their offices for a term of four years. Commencing with the 1992 general election, no person may be elected to more than two consecutive terms as attorney general, secretary of state, auditor, treasurer, or commissioner of school and public lands.|
Article IV, Section 7 also prevents any person from being elected to more than two consecutive terms as attorney general, secretary of state, auditor, treasurer, or commissioner of school and public lands.
The attorney general has a variety of duties:
- Prosecuting and defending all actions in which the state has an interest, civil or criminal, in the Supreme Court, including all criminal appeals.
- Serving as legal advisor to the Governor and other constitutional officers.
- Defending the laws and the Constitution of the State of South Dakota.
- Serving as legal advisor to many of the State's boards and agencies.
- Consulting with and advising State's Attorneys, and in some circumstances providing assistance in prosecuting criminal cases.
- Issuing legal opinions upon the request of the Governor, Legislature, or certain state and local officials.
- Investigating and prosecuting drug cases and major felonies, including such crimes as homicide, burglary, and kidnapping.
- Protecting South Dakota consumers from scams and fraudulent activity.
- Investigating and prosecuting Medicaid fraud throughout the State.
- Operating the state forensic crime laboratory.
The office of the attorney general is composed of seven divisions:
- Consumer Protection
- Division of Criminal Investigation
- Drug Prosecution Unit
- Medicaid Fraud Control Unit
- Natural Resources
The budget for the Attorney General's office in Fiscal Year 2013 was $21,498,844.
Click "show" for former officeholders.