Union County Oil Refinery Initiative, Ordinance 2008-001 (2008)
The Union County Oil Refinery Initiative, also known as Ordinance 2008-001, was on the June 3, 2008 ballot in South Dakota as a veto referendum, where it was approved. The measure was about whether or not to build a $3 billion oil refinery in Union County.
|Union County Ordinance 2008-001 (2008)|
Election results via: South Dakota Secretary of State, 2008 South Dakota Primary Election Data
The initiative was supported by Hyperion Energy Center, the company that would build the refinery, and a citizen's group called Citizens for Hyperion. Supporters of the initiative were able to raise substantially more money than groups opposing the measure.
The initiative was opposed by local citizen groups' Save Union County and Citizens Opposed to Oil Pollution.
- Save Union County's website
- Citizens Opposed to Oil Pollution
- Hyperion Energy Center's website
- Citizens for Hyperion (timed out)
- The Hyperion Project a blog covering the initiative
- Breakdown of votes by region (dead link)