South Dakota Secretary of Agriculture
|South Dakota Secretary of Agriculture|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2013 FY Budget:||$44,237,705|
|Authority:||South Dakota Laws, Chapter 38-1-1|
|Selection Method:||Appointed by Governor|
|Assumed office:||January 8, 2011|
|Other South Dakota Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Auditor • Superintendent of Education • Agriculture Commissioner • Insurance Commissioner • Natural Resources Commissioner • Labor Commissioner • Public Service Commission|
The current officeholder is Walt Bones. He was first appointed to the position in April 2010.
The Department of Agriculture was established in Chapter 38 of the South Dakota laws.
|Department continued--Office--Service of process--Seal. The Department of Agriculture of the State of South Dakota is continued with the powers, duties, and jurisdiction enumerated in this code. It shall maintain a central office in the capitol at Pierre in rooms provided for the purpose, which shall be the official address of the department and the place for serving process or papers of any kind upon it. It shall have an official seal.|
The secretary of agriculture is appointed by the Governor of South Dakota.
The mission of the department is to "promote, protect, preserve and improve South Dakota Agriculture for today and tomorrow." The official duty of the secretary is to, under the general direction and control of the governor, executive the powers and discharge the duties vested by law in the Department of Agriculture.
- Agricultural Development
- Finance; Ag Finance Counseling; Ag Loan Mediation; Crop & Livestock Marketing; Business Development Programs
- Agricultural Policy
- Agricultural issues
- Agricultural Services
- Animal Remedy; Apiary; Dairy; Egg; Feed; Nursery; Pesticide; Plant Protection; Rodent Bait Manufacture; Seed, Weed, & Pest Commission Programs
- Resource Conservation & Forestry
- Resource Conservation; Community Forestry; Forest Health; Service Forestry Programs
- Wildland Fire Suppression
- Fire Management and Suppression
- State Fair Park
The budget for the Department of Agriculture in Fiscal Year 2013 was $44,237,705.
Office of the Secretary
South Dakota Department of Agriculture
523 E. Capitol Avenue
Pierre, SD 57501-3182
Phone: (605) 773-5926
Toll free: (800) 228-5254
Fax: (605) 773-5926
- ↑ SDDA.gov, "Secretary of agriculture, Walt Bones," accessed October 24, 2011
- ↑ Legis.state.SD.us, "South Dakota codified laws," accessed October 24, 2011
- ↑ Sdda.SD.gov, "South Dakota Department of Agriculture," accessed October 24, 2011
- ↑ Legis.state.SD.us, "Chapter 38-1-4, South Dakota codified laws," accessed October 24, 2011
- ↑ South Dakota Bureau Finance and Management, "Budget in Brief FY 2013," accessed April 8, 2013
- ↑ The Council of State Governments,"The Book of States 2010 Table 4.11," retrieved May 14, 2011