South Dakota Secretary of Education
|South Dakota Secretary of Education|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2013 FY Budget:||$584,060,678|
|Length of term:||Serves at the Governor's pleasure|
|Authority:||South Dakota Codified Laws, Title 1, Chapter 45|
|Selection Method:||Gubernatorial appointment|
|Assumed office:||January 2011|
|Other South Dakota Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Auditor • Superintendent of Education • Agriculture Commissioner • Insurance Commissioner • Commissioner of School and Public Lands • Natural Resources Commissioner • Labor Commissioner • Public Service Commission|
The current officeholder is Melody Schopp.
Chapter 45, Section 2:
|Secretary as head of department. The head of the Department of Education is the secretary of education.|
|1-45-3. Qualifications of secretary. The secretary of the Department of Education shall be qualified by training and experience to administer the programs of the Department of Education and shall have such other qualifications as may be specified by statute.|
The South Dakota Secretary of Education is appointed by the Governor of South Dakota with the advice and consent of the South Dakota State Senate. The Secretary serves at the pleasure of the governor. The governor's power to appoint comes the Secretary of Education comes from South Dakota Constitution Article IV, Section 9.
- Is removed from office;
- Fails to qualify as provided by law;
- Is no longer a resident of the state;
- Is convicted of "any infamous crime or of any offense involving a violation of his official oath;"
- Or, breaches of his or her official bond.
If a vacancy occurs in the office of South Dakota Secretary of Education after May 30 of an even numbered year, it is filled till the end of the vacated term by gubernatorial appointment. If the vacancy is created prior May 30 of an even numbered year, it is filled by election, unless the year the vacancy is created in a year when the term of office would normally expire. If a person is elected for to fill a vacancy, the newly elected secretary waits to take office until the day of that year when a full term for that office would normally commence.
The secretary provides education leadership at the state level. The office is responsible for directing the department's strategic planning, communications, and oversees legislative action and personnel.
There are several offices within the South Dakota Department of Education:
- Teacher Quality, Special Education and Early Intervention
- Learning and Instruction
- Educational Services and Supports
- Financial Management
- State Library
The budget for the Department of Education in Fiscal Year 2013 was $584,060,678.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the South Dakota Secretary of Education has not yet been added because the information was unavailable on the relevant state official websites, or we are currently in the process of formatting the list for this office. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term South + Dakota + Secretary + of + Education
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
South Dakota Department of Education
800 Governors Drive
Pierre, SD 57501
Phone: (605) 773-3134
Fax: (605) 773-6139
- Superintendent of Schools
- Melody Schopp
- South Dakota school districts
- South Dakota Department of Education
- South Dakota Codified Laws, "Title 1, Chapter 45, Section 2," accessed August 15, 2013
- South Dakota Codified Laws, "Title 3, Chapter 4, Section 1," accessed August 13, 2013
- South Dakota Codified Laws, "Title 3, Chapter 4, Section 3," accessed August 13, 2013
- South Dakota Codified Laws, "Title 3, Chapter 4, Section 6," accessed August 13, 2013
- Doe.SD.gov, "About us," accessed October 21, 2011 (dead link)
- South Dakota Bureau Finance and Management, "Budget in Brief FY 2013," accessed April 8, 2013
- Council of State Governments, "SELECTED STATE ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICIALS: ANNUAL SALARIES," January 28, 2014
- The Council of State Governments, "The Book of States 2010 Table 4.11," accessed May 14, 2011