South Dakota Secretary of Environment and Natural Resources
|South Dakota Secretary of Environment and Natural Resources|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2013 FY Budget:||$21,668,089|
|Authority:||South Dakota codified laws, Chapter 1-40|
|Selection Method:||Appointed by Governor|
|Other South Dakota Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Auditor • Superintendent of Education • Agriculture Commissioner • Insurance Commissioner • Natural Resources Commissioner • Labor Commissioner • Public Service Commission|
The current officeholder is Steven Pirner. He was first appointed to the position in 2000.
The department was initially called the Department of Natural Resource Development, and in 1973 was renamed in Chapter 1-40, Section 1 of the South Dakota codified laws. The position of the secretary within the department is established in Chapter 1-40, Section 2.
Chapter 1-40-1, 1-40-2:
|Department renamed. The former Department of Natural Resource Development, also formerly known as the Department of Water and Natural Resources, is hereby continued as the Department of Environment and Natural Resources.
Secretary as head of department. The head of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources is the secretary of environment and natural resources.
The secretary is appointed by the Governor of South Dakota.
The mission of the department is "to protect public health and the environment by providing:
- environmental monitoring and natural resource assessment
- technical and financial assistance for environmental projects
- environmental regulatory services"
There are two divisions within the department, each with several sections:
- Division of Environmental Services
- Air quality
- Drinking water
- Groundwater quality
- Minerals and mining
- Waste management
- Surface water quality
- Water rights
- Division of Financial and Technical Assistance
- Fiscal management
- Geological survey
- Information services
- Petroleum release compensation fund
- Water resources assistance
The budget for the Department of Environment and Natural Resources in Fiscal Year 2013 was $ 21,668,089.
Department of Environment & Natural Resources
Joe Foss Building
523 E. Capitol
Pierre, SD 57501
Phone: (605) 773-3151
Fax: (605) 773-6035
- ↑ Department of Environment and Natural Resources," Accessed December 26, 2012
- ↑ South Dakota Legislature, "South Dakota Codified Laws," Accessed December 26, 2012
- ↑ Denr.SD.gov, "DENR organization," accessed October 24, 2011
- ↑ South Dakota Bureau Finance and Management, "Budget in Brief FY 2013," accessed April 8, 2013
- ↑ The Council of State Governments,"The Book of States 2010 Table 4.11," retrieved May 14, 2011