Standish-Sterling Community School Board recall, Michigan, 2010
The school board members targeted for recall were Gary McFarland and board members Brenda Golimbieski and Kim Koin.
In the May 4 election, sufficient votes to remove all three from office were received.
Since all three were recalled, the school board must meet within 30 days to fill the positions.
Reason for recall
The intent to recall was filed by Standish resident Kim Hadd.
According to the filed petition, the reasons for the recall included:
- a violation of the code of conduct
- meeting outside of scheduled board meetings to discuss school related issues
- an August 18, 2009 meeting did not follow the board's policies and procedures.
Path to the ballot
In order to force a recall election, approximately a minimum of 1,080 valid signatures were required, while 2,810 were collected.
- Arenac Independent, "Recall vote May 4," April 28, 2010
- Arenac Independent, "School board members receive enough votes for recall, result certification Wednesday," May 4, 2010
- Arenac Independent, "SSC board member recall vote now official," May 10, 2010
- The Arenac County Independent, "Recall language filed against school board members," October 13, 2009
- Bay City Times, "Committee wants to recall three Standish-Sterling school board members over open meetings act miscue," May 1, 2010
- The Arenac County Independent, "One reason for board recall granted clarity," October 30, 2009