State Poll Opening and Closing Times (2012)
Note: For poll opening and closing times for 2014, see this page. Information below was current during the 2012 elections.
California • Colorado • Connecticut • Delaware
Florida • Georgia • Hawaii • Idaho • Illinois • Indiana
Iowa • Kansas • Kentucky • Louisiana
Maine • Maryland • Massachusetts • Michigan
Minnesota • Mississippi • Missouri
Montana • Nebraska • Nevada • New Hampshire
New Jersey • New Mexico • New York
North Carolina • North Dakota • Ohio • Oklahoma
Oregon • Pennsylvania • Rhode Island • South Carolina
South Dakota • Tennessee • Texas • Utah • Vermont
Virginia • Washington • West Virginia • Wisconsin • Wyoming
Voting in 2012 Primaries • Voting on November 6, 2012
Poll Opening and Closing Times
Signature filing deadlines
Open Primary • Closed Primary • Blanket Primary
- 1 State by State Poll Times
- 1.1 Alabama
- 1.2 Alaska
- 1.3 Arizona
- 1.4 Arkansas
- 1.5 California
- 1.6 Colorado
- 1.7 Connecticut
- 1.8 Delaware
- 1.9 Florida
- 1.10 Georgia
- 1.11 Hawaii
- 1.12 Idaho
- 1.13 Illinois
- 1.14 Indiana
- 1.15 Iowa
- 1.16 Kansas
- 1.17 Kentucky
- 1.18 Louisiana
- 1.19 Maine
- 1.20 Maryland
- 1.21 Massachusetts
- 1.22 Michigan
- 1.23 Minnesota
- 1.24 Mississippi
- 1.25 Missouri
- 1.26 Montana
- 1.27 Nebraska
- 1.28 Nevada
- 1.29 New Hampshire
- 1.30 New Jersey
- 1.31 New Mexico
- 1.32 New York
- 1.33 North Carolina
- 1.34 North Dakota
- 1.35 Ohio
- 1.36 Oklahoma
- 1.37 Oregon
- 1.38 Pennsylvania
- 1.39 Rhode Island
- 1.40 South Carolina
- 1.41 South Dakota
- 1.42 Tennessee
- 1.43 Texas
- 1.44 Utah
- 1.45 Vermont
- 1.46 Virginia
- 1.47 Washington
- 1.48 Washington, D.C.
- 1.49 West Virginia
- 1.50 Wisconsin
- 1.51 Wyoming
- 2 See also
- 3 References
Poll opening and closing times state-by-state set to local times for the November 6, 2012 election.
Time zone note: Arizona and Hawaii do not observe Daylight Savings Time. Also, 13 states have multiple time zones. Idaho and Oregon are split between the Mountain and Pacific time zones. Kansas, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Texas are divided between Central and Mountain time zones. Florida, Indiana, Michigan, Kentucky, and Tennessee are split between Eastern and Central time zones. Alaska is divided between the Alaska time zone and the Hawaii-Aleutian time zone.
State by State Poll Times
All of the times below are local.
- See also: Alabama elections, 2012
- See also: Alaska elections, 2012
Alaska is divided between the Alaska time zone and the Hawaii-Aleutian time zone.
- See also: Arizona elections, 2012
- See also: Arkansas elections, 2012
- See also: California elections, 2012
- See also: Colorado elections, 2012
- See also: Connecticut elections, 2012
- See also: Delaware elections, 2012
- See also: Florida elections, 2012
Florida is split between Eastern and Central time zones.
- See also: Georgia elections, 2012
- See also: Hawaii elections, 2012
- See also: Idaho elections, 2012
Idaho is split between the Mountain and Pacific time zones.
- See also: Illinois elections, 2012
- See also: Indiana elections, 2012
Indiana is split between Eastern and Central time zones.
- See also: Iowa elections, 2012
- See also: Kansas elections, 2012
In Kansas, most polls are open from 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM Central Time as Kansas mandates in its state laws that the polls must be open a minimum of twelve (12) hours. Counties may open the polls earlier and close them later.
Kansas is divided between Central and Mountain time zones.
- See also: Kentucky elections, 2012
Kentucky is split between Eastern and Central time zones.
- See also: Louisiana elections, 2012
- See also: Maine elections, 2012
- See also: Maryland elections, 2012
- See also: Massachusetts elections, 2012
- See also: Michigan elections, 2012
Michigan is split between Eastern and Central time zones.
- See also: Minnesota elections, 2012
- See also: Mississippi elections, 2012
- See also: Missouri elections, 2012
- See also: Montana elections, 2012
- See also: Nebraska elections, 2012
- See also: Nevada elections, 2012
- See also: New Hampshire elections, 2012
In New Hampshire, the polling place hours of operation vary in New Hampshire. In general, polling places open between 6:00 am and 11:00 am and close at 7:00 pm or 8:00 pm, Eastern Time. Voters in New Hampshire should contact their municipal clerk's office for actual polling place times.
- See also: New Jersey elections, 2012
- See also: New Mexico elections, 2012
- See also: New York elections, 2012
Polls open at 6:00 AM and close at 9:00 PM.
- See also: North Carolina elections, 2012
- See also: North Dakota elections, 2012
Polling locations cannot open earlier than 7:00 a.m. and must be open by 9:00 a.m. with the exception of those precincts in which fewer than 75 votes were cast in the last General Election. The governing body of the exempt polling locations may direct the polls to open no later than 12:00 noon. All polling locations must remain open until 7:00 p.m. and close no later than 9:00 p.m.
North Dakota is divided between Central and Mountain time zones.
- See also: Ohio elections, 2012
- See also: Oklahoma elections, 2012
- See also: Oregon elections, 2012
Oregon is an elections by mail state, however a voter can still vote on Election Day at their local municipal clerks office 7:00 AM to 8:00 PM Pacific Time. Oregon is split between the Mountain and Pacific time zones.
- See also: Pennsylvania elections, 2012
- See also: Rhode Island elections, 2012
- See also: South Carolina elections, 2012
- See also: South Dakota elections, 2012
South Dakota is divided between Central and Mountain time zones.
- See also: Tennessee elections, 2012
In Tennessee, most polling places are open between 7am and 7pm. All precincts close 8:00pm eastern standard time and 7:00pm central standard time. The polls must be open a minimum of 10 hours and may be open for a maximum of 13 hours.
Tennessee is split between Eastern and Central time zones.
- See also: Texas elections, 2012
- See also: Utah elections, 2012
- See also: Vermont elections, 2012
- See also: Virginia elections, 2012
- See also: Washington elections, 2012
Polls are open 7:00 AM to 8:00 PM.
- See also: West Virginia elections, 2012
- See also: Wisconsin elections, 2012
- See also: Wyoming elections, 2012
- Alabama Secretary of State, "2012 Voter Guide"
- Alaska Elections, "Hours Polls Open," accessed August 2012
- Arizona Secretary of State, "Poll Times," accessed August 2012
- Arkansas Secretary of State, "2012 Election Calendar"
- California Secretary of State, "Elections FAQ"
- Colorado Secretary of State, "2012 Election Calendar"
- Connecticut Secretary of State, "2012 Calendar"
- Delaware Elections, "2012 Election Calendar"
- Florida Secretary of State, "What Times"
- Georgia Secretary of State, "Voting Information 2012"
- Hawaii Elections, "2012 Election Fact Sheet"
- Idaho Secretary of State, "2012 Calendar"
- Illinois Department of Elections, "Voter Information 2012"
- Indiana Secretary of State, "2012 Elections Calendar"
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Polling Place"
- Kansas Vote, "Where and When you Vote"
- Kentucky Elections, "Voting"
- Louisiana Secretary of State, "Voting"
- Maine Government, "Elections FAQ"
- Maryland Elections, "Election Day Questions"
- Massachusetts Secretary of State, "Voting Questions"
- Michigan Secretary of State, "FAQs"
- Minnesota Secretary of State, "Frequently Asked Questions"
- Mississippi Secretary of State, "2012 Elections Calendar"
- Missouri Elections, "FAQs"
- vote411.org - Voting In Montana
- Nebraska Secretary of State, "Voter Info"
- Nevada Clark County Government, "Election Dates"
- vote411.org - Voting In New Hampshire
- New Hampshire Secretary of State, "2010 Clerks"
- New Jersey Elections, "FAQ"
- vote411.org - Voting In New Mexico
- New York Elections, "FAQ"
- North Carolina Elections, "Voting"
- North Dakota Secretary of State, "Election Calendar 2012"
- Ohio Secretary of State, "FAQ"
- Oklahoma Elections, "FAQs"
- Oregon Votes, "2012 Elections Calendar"
- Pennsylvania Votes, "Frequently Asked Questions"
- vote411.org - Voting in Rhode Island
- SC Votes, "Voting Information"
- vote411.org - Voting in South Dakota
- South Dakota Secretary of State, "2012 Elections Calendar"
- vote411.org - Voting in Tennessee
- Vote Texas, "FAQ"
- Utah Vote, "Calendar"
- vote411.org - Voting in Vermont
- Virginia Elections, "Frequently Asked Questions"
- vote411.org - Voting in Washington
- www.dcboee.org - "DC Board of Elections and Ethics: Election Year 2012"
- West Virginia Secretary of State, "Election Day Procedures"
- Wisconsin Government Accountability Board, "Voting"
- Wyoming Secretary of State, "2012 Election Calendar"