|Rhode Island State Senate District 22|
|January 2, 2017|
|Years in position||2|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|Next general||November 8, 2016|
|Master's||Salver Regina University|
|J.D.||Roger Williams School of Law|
He was formerly one of the five members that made up the town council for Smithfield, Rhode Island.
Archambault earned his B.A. from American University, his M.S. from Salver Regina University and his J.D. from Roger Williams School of Law. His professional experience includes working as an attorney at the Law Offices of Stephen R. Archambault.
2015 legislative session
At the beginning of the 2015 legislative session, Archambault served on the following committees:
|Rhode Island Committee Assignments, 2015|
|• Rules, Vice-Chair|
|• Environment and Agriculture|
|• Government Oversight|
In the 2013-2014 legislative session, Archambault served on the following committees:
|Rhode Island Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Environment & Agriculture|
|• Government Oversight|
Archambault's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
Our Senator Steve Archambault will:
- Promote job-creating economic development
- Fight to increase the minimum wage
- Stand up for fiscal responsibility
- Oppose special insider deals like 38 Studios
- Work to improve public education
- Oppose unfair rate hikes by health insurers
- Hold the line on taxes"
Elections for the office of Rhode Island State Senate took place in 2014. A primary election took place on September 9, 2014. The general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was June 25, 2014. Incumbent Steve Archambault defeated David Fasteson in the Democratic primary, while Hasan Alsawaf was unopposed in the Republican primary. Archambault defeated Alsawaf in the general election.
|Rhode Island State Senate, District 22, General Election, 2014|
|Democratic||Steve Archambault Incumbent||63.9%||6,091|
|Rhode Island State Senate, District 22 Democratic Primary, 2014|
|Steve Archambault Incumbent||62.5%||2,326|
Archambault won election to District 22 of the Rhode Island State Senate. He was unopposed in the Democratic primary on September 11, 2012. Richard A. Poirier was unopposed in the Republican primary. Archambault defeated Poirier in the general election which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Rhode Island State Senate, District 22, General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Stephen R. Archambault||59%||7,389|
|Republican||Richard A. Poirier||40.8%||5,107|
On May 28, 2009, Archambault announced his candidacy for the statewide office of attorney general, the seat being vacated by Patrick Lynch, who was barred by state term limit laws from running for a third consecutive term in office. Archambault, however, failed to secure the party nomination on Tuesday, September 14, 2010, after receiving a little over thirty-three percent of the vote.
|2010 Race for Attorney General - Democratic Primary|
|Peter Kilmartin (D)||39.9%|
|Stephen R. Archambault (D)||33.3%|
|Joseph M. Fernandez (D)||26.7%|
|2008 Race for Smithfield Town Council (Top 5 Candidates)|
|Stephen R. Archambault (D)||10.9%|
|S. Jean Cerroni (D)||10.7%|
|Michael J. Flynn (R)||10.5%|
|Ronald F. Manni (R)||9.5%|
|Maxine A. Cavanagh (R)||9.4%|
|Bernard A. Hawkins (D)||9.3%|
|David M. Fanning (D)||9.0%|
|Richard A. Poirier (R)||8.9%|
|Michael James Coutu (R)||6.0%|
|Ernest V. Begin (Ind.)||4.0%|
|Stephen G. Tocco (Ind.)||3.9%|
|Robert J. Esposito (Ind.)||3.9%|
|A. Robert LaBrie (Ind.)||3.9%|
|2006 Race for Smithfield Town Council (Top 5 Candidates)|
|Stephen G. Tocco (D)||12.3%|
|Stephen R. Archambault (D)||11.2%|
|Bernard A. Hawkins (D)||10.9%|
|Michael J. Flynn (R)||10.8%|
|Ronald F. Manni (R)||10.5%|
|Richard A. Poirier (R)||9.7%|
|Maxine A. Cavanagh (R)||9.4%|
|Joseph L. Chiodo (D)||8.8%|
|Rudolph A. D'Agostino (R)||8.5%|
|Robert A. Goralski (D)||8.0%|
Comprehensive donor information for Steve Archambault is available dating back to 2010. Based on available campaign finance records, Steve Archambault raised a total of $385,536 during that time period. This information was last updated on July 26, 2013.
|Steve Archambault's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Rhode Island State Senate, District 22||$33,475|
|2010||Attorney General of Rhode Island||$352,061|
|Grand Total Raised||$385,536|
2012Steve Archambault won election to the to the Rhode Island State Senate in 2012. During that election cycle, Steve Archambault raised a total of $33,475.
|to the Rhode Island State Senate 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Steve Archambault's campaign in 2012|
|Petrarca, John H||$1,250|
|Operating Engineers Local 57||$1,000|
|Rhode Island Association for Justice||$1,000|
|Rhode Island Senate Democrats||$500|
|Total Raised in 2012||$33,475|
|Source:Follow the Money|
2010Steve Archambault lost the election for the Attorney General of Rhode Island in 2010. During that election cycle, Steve Archambault raised a total of $352,061.
|Attorney General of Rhode Island 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Steve Archambault's campaign in 2010|
|Archambault, Stephen R||$149,100|
|Kane, Timothy F||$2,000|
|Total Raised in 2010||$352,061|
|Source:Follow the Money|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
- American Civil Liberties Union of Rhode Island: 2013-2014 Voting Record
- Legislators are scored based on their votes on bills related to civil liberties.
- Common Cause: 2013-2014 Legislative Scorecard
- Legislators are scored based on votes on government reform.
- Rhode Island Center for Freedom and Prosperity: 2013 Session Freedom Index
- Legislators are scored based on their votes on bills deemed to have an effect on free-market, small-government, or constitutional principles.
- National Federation of Independent Business in Rhode Island: 2013-2014 Voting Record
- Legislators are scored on their votes on key small business issues.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google News search for the term "Steve + Archambault + Rhode + Island + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- Rhode Island State Senate
- Senate Committees
- Rhode Island General Assembly
- Joint Committees
- Rhode Island state legislative districts
- Attorney General of Rhode Island
- Rhode Island Attorney General election, 2010
- Official campaign website
- Profile from the Rhode Island State Senate
- Profile from Open States
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Steve Archambault on Facebook
- Steve Archambault on LinkedIn
- Campaign contributions: 2012 2010
- Project Vote Smart, "Biography of Sen. Steve Archambault," accessed June 6, 2014
- archambaultforstatesenate.com, "Official campaign website," accessed August 6, 2014
- Rhode Island Secretary of State, "Candidates for Senator in General Assembly," accessed June 30, 2014
- Rhode Island Secretary of State, "2014 Statewide Primary Results: Senator in General Assembly," accessed September 26, 2014
- Rhode Island Board of Elections, "Official 2014 general election results," accessed December 4, 2014
- Candidates in Upcoming Elections, "Rhode Island Secretary of State," accessed July 5, 2012
- State of Rhode Island Board of Elections, "2012 Statewide Primary Results," accessed June 6, 2014
- State of Rhode Island Board of Elections, "2012 Statewide General Election Results," accessed June 6, 2014
- State of Rhode Island Board of Elections, "2010 Statewide Primary Results," accessed June 6, 2014
- Rhode Island Board of Elections, "2008 General Election Results," accessed June 7, 2014
- Rhode Island Board of Elections, "2006 General Election Results," accessed June 7, 2014
- followthemoney.org, "Archambault, Stephen R," accessed July 26, 2013
John Tassoni (D)
|Rhode Island State Senate District 22
| Succeeded by|