For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
|Florida State Senate District 5|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2008|
|Florida House of Representatives|
|Bachelor's||Florida Southern College (1963)|
|Master's||Middle Tennessee State University (1968)|
|Date of birth||December 11, 1941|
Wise earned his B.S. from Florida Southern College in 1963, his M.Ed. From Middle Tennessee State University in 1968 and his Ed.D. from the University of Alabama in 1970. His professional experience includes working as a Teacher in Polk County from 1963 to 1965 and Brevard County from 1963 to 1968, Vice President of College Development at Florida Community College from 1970 to 1993 and consultant.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Wise was appointed to these committees:
- Education Pre-K - 12 Chair
- Budget Subcommittee on Education Pre-K - 12 Appropriations
- Budget Subcommittee on Higher Education Appropriations
- Community Affairs
- Governmental Oversight and Accountability
- Regulated Industries
- Joint Select Committee on Collective Bargaining
- Joint Legislative Auditing
- Joint Legislative Budget
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Wise served on these committees:
- Children, Families, and Elder Affairs Committee, Florida State Senate
- Community Affairs Committee, Florida State Senate
- Education Pre-K - 12 Committee, Florida State Senate
- Education Pre-K - 12 Appropriations Committee, Florida State Senate
- Rules Committee, Florida State Senate
On November 4, 2008, Wise won re-election to the 5th District Seat in the Florida State Senate, defeating George Anthony Lovenguth (D). Wise raised $319,389 for his campaign, while Lovenguth raised $2,404.
|Florida State Senate, District 5 (2008)|
|Stephen WIse (R)||172,736||71.4%|
|George Anthony Lovenguth (D)||69,321||28.6%|
Wise raised $0 in campaign contributions in 2010, a year in which he was not up for election.
In 2008, Wise collected $319,389 in campaign contributions. The six largest contributors to his campaign were as follows:
|Florida Hospital Association||$4,000|
|Florida Police Benevolent Association||$3,000|
|Real Property, Probate, and Trust Law Section of the Florida Bar Association||$2,000|
|Hospital Corporation of America||$2,000|
|Florida Association of Insurance Agents||$2,000|
|Florida Association of Realtors||$2,000|
Wise and his wife, Kathryn Beeman, have two children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Stephen + Wise + Florida + Senate
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Florida State Legislature
- Florida State Senate
- Florida Senate Committees
- Florida state legislative districts
- Project Vote Smart biography of Senator Stephen Wise
- Campaign contributions: 2008, 2006, 2004, 2002, 1998
Rod Smith (D)
|Florida Senate District 5
| Succeeded by|
Charles Dean (R)