|Georgia State Senate District 51|
|January 11, 2011 - Present|
|January 12, 2015|
|Years in position||2|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 2, 2010|
|Next election||November 4, 2014|
|Bachelor's||North Georgia College|
|Master's||North Georgia College and State University|
|Birthday||February 25, 1967|
|Profession||Vice President, Commercial Group, The Norton Agency|
Gooch is a partner at The Commercial Group, a real estate brokerage and property management firm. He previously served as Lumpkin County Commissioner and is a member of the Georgia Department of Transportation Board. Gooch earned a bachelor's degree and a master's in public administration from North Georgia College and State University.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Gooch served on the following committees:
|Georgia Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Transportation, Chair|
|• Economic Development, Vice Chair|
|• Natural Resources and the Environment|
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Gooch served on the following committees:
|Georgia Committee Assignments, 2011|
|• Economic Development|
|• Government Oversight|
|• State Institutions and Property|
|• State and Local Governmental Operations|
- See also: Georgia State Senate elections, 2012
Gooch ran in the 2012 election for Georgia State Senate District 51. Gooch ran unopposed in the Republican primary on July 31, 2012. No Democratic candidate filed to run for this seat. The general election took place on November 6, 2012.  Gooch ran unopposed in the general election.
|Georgia State Senate, District 51, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Steve Gooch Incumbent||100%||60,498|
- See also: Georgia State Senate elections, 2010
| Georgia State Senate, District 51 |
2010 General election results
|Steve Gooch (R)||46,262||81.9%|
|Joseph Mann (D)||10,213||18.1%|
Gooch was unopposed in the July 20 primary.
|Georgia State Senate, District 51 - Republican Primary (2010)|
On his campaign website, Gooch lists five issues he is concerned about. They are:
- Keeping Taxes Low
- Excerpt: "I believe that we must do all that we can to avoid increasing taxes on our citizens. I also believe that we should use these difficult times to “right size” state government by cutting unnecessary spending, creating more efficient processes, and implementing zero based budgeting to establish the right priorities for spending our tax dollars."
- Creating New Jobs
- Excerpt: "Small businesses create jobs! As your Senator, I will fight for common sense proposals that help create the right environment where small businesses can grow and create new jobs."
- Supporting Our Schools
- Excerpt: "The state government’s most important responsibility is educating our children. I believe in local control of our schools and in empowering, not dictating to, our local schools, administrators and educators."
- Protecting Our Traditional Values
- Excerpt: " You can count on me to always support pro-life, pro-marriage legislation. I believe we should have the Ten Commandments posted in our public buildings to remind elected officials of the foundation of our laws."
- Defending Our 2nd Amendment Rights
- Excerpt: "a citizen has the God-given right to protect their home and their family, and the right to keep and bear arms is essential to this."
Campaign donor information is not yet available for this year.
In 2010, when Gooch was first elected, he received $88,845 in donations.
His largest contributors were:
|Georgia Highway Contractors Association||$2,400|
|Georgia Trial Lawyers Association||$2,400|
|Friends of Chip Pearson||$2,000|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Steve + Gooch + Georgia + Senate
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Gooch named 'most influential' - Dawson Community News - Dawson Community News
- Burn ban lifted for tornado cleanup - Dahlonega Nugget
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
Gooch and his wife Shannon have three children.
- Steve Gooch campaign website
- Georgia State Senate - Steve Gooch
- Project Vote Smart biography
- Project Vote Smart legislative profile
- Campaign contributions: 2010
- Steve Gooch on Facebook
- ↑ Newt Gingrich 2012, "Slate of Georgia Officials Back Newt Gingrich for President," December 13, 2011
- ↑ Georgia Secretary of State Elections Division "Candidate List" Accessed May 29, 2012
- ↑ Georgia Secretary of State, Official 2012 Primary Results
- ↑ Georgia Elections Division "2012 Election Results" Accessed November 16, 2012
- ↑ Georgia Secretary of State - 2010 Election results
- ↑ Georgia Secretary of State, "Official Results of the Tuesday, July 20, 2010 General Primary Election"
- ↑ Steve Gooch campaign website, "Issues"
- ↑ Follow the Money, "2010 Contributions to Steve Gooch," accessed July 7, 2011.
|Georgia Senate District 51
| Succeeded by|