|Arkansas State Senate District 21|
|January 10, 2011- January 10, 2013|
|House Majority Leader|
|Base salary||$15,869 per year|
|Per diem||$136 per day|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 2, 2010|
|Term limits||2 terms (8 years)|
|Arkansas House of Representatives|
|Bachelor's||University of Arkansas (1996)|
|J.D.||University of Arkansas, Little Rock (2000)|
|Birthday||March 3, 1974|
|Place of birth||Texarkana, Texas|
He is a former member of the Arkansas House of Representatives, representing the 1st District from 2005 to 2011.
Harrelson is an Attorney/Partner with the Harrelson Law Firm.
He is involved with a number of organizations, including being Chair of the Board of Directors of Court Appointed Special Advocates, Chair of the Domestic Relations Division for the Arkansas Trial Lawyers Association of the Board of Governors New Lawyers Division for the Association of Trial Lawyers of America, and member of the American Bar Association.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Harrelson served on these committees:
- Subcommittee on Peer Review
- City, County and Local Affairs Committee, Arkansas State Senate
- Senate Efficiency Committee, Arkansas State Senate, Vice Chair
- Judiciary Committee, Arkansas State Senate
- Legislative Joint Auditing Committee, Arkansas Assembly
- Joint Performance Review Committee, Arkansas Assembly, Vice Chair
Harrelson's answers to the Arkansas State Legislative Election 2008 Political Courage Test are available. The test provides voters with how a candidate would vote on the issues if elected. When asked his legislative priorities he responded:
"My top legislative priority of the 87th General Assembly is to repeal the other half of the sales tax on food and food ingredients (excepting the 1/8 cent conservation tax that was adopted by Arkansas voters as Amendment 75). Current revenue reports as of today (4/27/08) show that this proposal is possible without increasing taxes or fees. In the event a surplus still exists after this action, I am in support of phasing out the sales tax on energy consumption."
Harrelson's sponsored legislation includes:
- HB 1030 - "AN ACT TO AUTHORIZE THE CLOSING OF UNLICENSED TRANSITIONAL HOUSING FOR CRIMINAL OFFENDERS; AND TO ALLOW CIVIL PENALTIES FOR OPERATION OF UNLICENSED TRANSITIONAL HOUSING."
- HB 1402 - "AN ACT TO CREATE THE ARKANSAS CIGARETTE FIRE SAFETY STANDARD ACT; AND TO CREATE THE CIGARETTE FIRE SAFETY STANDARD FUND."
- HB 1611 - "AN ACT TO PROVIDE FOR AN INTERNET BROADCAST OF THE PROCEEDINGS OF COMMITTEES OF THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES."
For a full listing of sponsored bills, see the House site.
- See also: Arkansas State Senate elections, 2012
Harrelson ran for re-election in the 2012 election for Arkansas Senate, District 11. Harrelson defeated Larry Cowling in the May 22 Democratic primary and was defeated by Jimmy Hickey, Jr. (R) in the November 6, 2012, general election.
|Arkansas State Senate District 11 Democratic Primary, 2012|
Harrelson was ineligible to run for re-election in 2010 due to the term limits of the Arkansas House of Representatives. He instead won election to the District 21 seat of the Arkansas State Senate. He defeated Ken Cowling in the May 18 primary election and ran unopposed in the general election.
|Arkansas State Senate, District 21 Democratic Primary (2010)|
|Steve Harrelson (D)||6,396|
|Ken Cowling (D)||5,592|
Harrelson raised $18,991 for his campaign.
In 2010, Harrelson raised $182,571 in contributions. 
His two largest contributors were:
|Smith, William T||$2,500|
Below are Harrelson's top 5 campaign contributors in the 2008 election:
|Southern States Police Benevolent Assoc||$1,206|
|Arkansas Trial Lawyers Assoc||$1,000|
|Southwestern Energy Co||$750|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Steve + Harrelson + Arkansas + Senate"
- Markey: 'It's really not math. It's just arithmetic' - Daily Caller
- University of Kansas has nothing better to do than attack this racy Twitter page - Daily Caller
- If this commercial doesn't work on you, nothing will [VIDEO - Daily Caller]
- ?Impeach Obama? movement leads to protests, traffic jam - Daily Caller
- IRS also lied about costs of conferences, Coburn letter indicates - Daily Caller
- 2-year-old singing The Beatles with his dad will cure your Monday blues [VIDEO - Daily Caller]
- Kindergartener interrogated over cap gun until he pees his pants, then ... - Daily Caller
- Judge Jeanine: 'Eric Holder should be indicted' - Daily Caller
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
- Official Website
- Senate website
- Project Vote Smart legislative profile
- Project Vote Smart bio
- Campaign Contributions: 2010, 2008, 2006, 2004
- Steve Harrelson on Facebook
- Steve Harrelson on Twitter
- ↑ Project Vote Smart - Rep. Harrelson
- ↑ Project Vote Smart - Rep. Harrelson Issue Positions
- ↑ Arkansas Secretary of State "Election Results 2012" Accessed November 7, 2012
- ↑ Arkansas Secretary of State, "2012 Election candidates," March 8, 2012
- ↑ Arkansas Secretary of State, "Arkansas State Primary Election, May 22, 2012 ," accessed July 11, 2012
- ↑ Primary results
- ↑ General election results
- ↑ 2008 general election results, Arkansas
- ↑ Arkansas House spending, 2008
- ↑ 2010 contributions
- ↑ Follow the Money - 2008 Campaign contributions
|Arkansas State Senate District 21
| Succeeded by|
Paul Bookout (D)
|Arkansas House District 1
| Succeeded by|
Mary P. Hickerson