Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|California Insurance Commissioner|
|Bachelor's||University of Texas (1978)|
|Master's||Stanford University (1980)|
|Date of birth||June 4, 1957|
Prior to his political career, Poizner worked in the Silicon Valley as a high tech entrepreneur; founding both SnapTrak, Inc. and Strategic Mapping, Inc. SnapTrak was sold for $1.2 billion in 2000. He was a White House Fellow and Director of Critical Infrastructure Protection at the National Security Council from 2001-2002.
Poizner earned a B.S. in Electrical Engineering from the University of Texas in 1978 and an M.B.A. from Stanford University in 1980.
- In 2000, Poizner contributed about $200,000 to the campaign to pass Proposition 39. Proposition 39 lowered the threshold required to pass local education taxes from a two-thirds vote to 55 percent.
- Poizner was a critic of California Proposition 1A (2009) and pledged not to raise any taxes if he was elected governor in 2010.
A supporter of term limits, Poizner announced in October 2007 that he was donating $1.5 million to the Alliance for California's Renewal, a campaign committee that opposed California's Proposition 93.
Proposition 93 would have allowed legislative incumbents to stay in office longer.
|2010 Race for Governor - Republican Primary|
|Bill Chambers (R)||1.4%|
|Douglas R. Hughes (R)||1.0%|
|Ken Miller (R)||1.5%|
|Lawrence 'Larry' Natarelli (R)||2.3%|
|Robert C. Newman, II (R)||1.7%|
|Steve Poizner (R)||26.7%|
|David Tully-Smith (R)||1.0%|
|Meg Whitman (R)||64.4%|
Poizner is married to Carol Poizner and together they have one child.
- Steve Poizner's personal website
- Poizner on Project Vote Smart
- Stevepoizner.com 2010 Campaign website
The Internet Archive's Wayback Machine was used to recall this version of the website from May 18, 2010.
- Mercury News, "Poizner's past support of taxes could haunt him," August 26, 2009
- Daily KOS, "Who wants to take Barbara Boxer's seat? An updated list of potential Senate candidates," January 12, 2015
- Poizner will lead foes of changes in term limits
- With Poizner's Checkbook, the term limits battle is joined
- California Secretary of State 2010 Primary Results (dead link)
|California Commissioner of Insurance
| Succeeded by|
Dave Jones (D)