|Rhode Island House of Representatives, District 49|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
Gitlow earned his B.S. from MIT, his M.D. from Mount Sinai School of Medicine, his M.S. in Public Health from the University of Pittsburgh and his M.B.A. from the University of Rhode Island. His professional experience includes working as a physician specializing in addiction medicine and psychiatry, Associate Clinical Professor of Psychiatry at The Mount Sinai School of Medicine, Acting President and Chairman of the Board of the American Society of Addiction Medicine, Executive Committee member of the American Medical Association's Council on Science and Public Health and working for Apple Computer and America Online. He served in the Providence unit of the United States Coast Guard Auxiliary as Flotilla Commander. In 2011, he was appointed to the National Staff of the Auxiliary as the Division Chief of Creative Services within the Public Affairs Directorate.
Gitlow serves as an Adjunct Instructor in Psychiatry at Dartmouth. He has clinical practices in Rhode Island and nearby Massachusetts. Gitlow successfully raised $12.5M to launch the Annenberg Physician Training Program in Addictive Disease in 2004. The program focuses on studying education of medical students to demonstrate approaches that are effective in raising interest in the treatment of addiction. Gitlow has participated as a Delegate within the American Medical Association's House of Delegates, the Association's policy making group, since 1999.
A special election for the position of Rhode Island House of Representatives District 49 was called for February 25, with a primary on January 21. The filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was December 13, 2013. The seat was vacant following Lisa Baldelli-Hunt's (D) election as Mayor of Woonsocket. Michael Morin defeated Douglas Brown and Mark Chenot in the January 21 Democratic primary. Morin defeated write-in candidates in the special election, which took place on February 25.
|Rhode Island House of Representatives, District 49 Democratic Primary, 2014|
Gitlow ran in District 49 and was defeated in the Democratic primary on September 11 by incumbent Lisa Baldelli-Hunt and Michael Morin. Dr. Gitlow was endorsed by the Rhode Island National Organization of Women.
|Rhode Island House of Representatives, District 49 Democratic Primary, 2012|
|Lisa Baldelli-Hunt Incumbent||63.8%||727|
Gitlow ran for election to the 49th District seat in 2010. He was defeated by the incumbent Lisa Baldelli-Hunt in the primary election.
Gitlow and his wife, Heather, have one son.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Stuart + Gitlow + Rhode Island + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- boston.com, "Woonsocket to hold special legislative primary," January 18, 2014
- ripr.org, "Baldelli-Hunt To Be Inaugurated As New Mayor Of Woonsocket," December 3, 2013
- turnto10.com, "State sets special election for Woonsocket House seat," December 4, 2013
- Providence Journal, "Morin defeats 2 primary challengers to gain hold on Woonsocket House seat," January 21, 2014
- ctpost.com, "Morin wins Woonsocket election for RI House seat," February 26, 2014
- Rhode Island Secretary of State "Official Primary election results," accessed March 26, 2014
- Official 2012 primary results
- Candidates in Upcoming Elections "Rhode Island Secretary of State," Accessed July 9, 2012