|Texas House of Representatives, District 4|
|January 13, 2015 - Present|
|January 9, 2017|
|Years in position||0|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|High school||Athens High School, 1986|
|Associate's||Trinity Valley Community College, 1987|
|Bachelor's||Baylor University, 1989|
|M.D.||University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 1993|
|Place of birth||Athens, Texas|
Spitzer earned his B.A. in Chemistry from Baylor University in 1989 and his M.D. from the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in 1993. His professional experience includes working as a surgeon.
Spitzer's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
- Excerpt: "The less regulation and taxes we have, the better private business will be. Business should succeed or fail based on the business model, ﬁnancial model and the ability to succeed in an open marketplace."
- Excerpt: "At a minimum the state should stop all inducements to come here illegally. Elimination of sanctuary cities, bilingual education and in-state tuition for illegal immigrants would be a good start. Even these common sense measures have not been passed despite 101 Republicans being in the Texas House last session. I would support these measures."
- Excerpt: "I am against abortion, euthanasia, and embryonic stem cell research. I support and will defend traditional East Texas values."
- Excerpt: "Any increase in government transfers our money and our freedom to Austin. I believe in a smaller, more efficient, and more open form of government."
Elections for all 150 seats in the Texas House of Representatives took place in 2014. A primary election took place on March 4, 2014. Those candidates who did not receive 50% or more of the vote in their party primary on March 4 faced an additional May 27 primary runoff. The general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in these elections was December 9, 2013. Stuart Spitzer defeated incumbent Lance Gooden in the Republican primary. Spitzer defeated Frederick Stralow (L) in the general election.
|Texas House of Representatives, District 4 General Election, 2014|
|Texas House of Representatives District 4 Republican Primary, 2012|
|Lance Gooden Incumbent||54.4%||8,159|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
Spitzer and his wife, Shari, have two children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Stuart + Spitzer + Texas + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- Texas State Legislature
- Texas state legislative districts
- Texas House of Representatives
- Texas House of Representatives elections, 2014
- Texas House of Representatives Committees
- Texas Joint Committees
- Profile from the Texas House of Representatives
- Campaign website
- Stuart Spitzer on Facebook
- Stuart Spitzer on Twitter
- Stuart Spitzer on YouTube
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from The Texas Tribune
- Profile from Open States
- Facebook, "Stuart Spitzer," accessed February 17, 2014
- stuartspitzer.com - Issues
- Texas Secretary of State, "1992 - Current ELECTION HISTORY," accessed December 2, 2014
- The Libertarian Party of Texas, "2014 Texas Representative Candidate List," accessed July 30, 2014
- Green Party of Texas, "Greens Release Candidate List," accessed July 30, 2014
- Texas Secretary of State, "1992 - Current Election History," accessed February 17, 2014
- Office of the (Texas) Secretary of State, "Race Summary Report," accessed July 12, 2012
- Project Vote Smart, "Stuart Spitzer's Biography," accessed February 17, 2014
Lance Gooden (R)
|Texas House of Representatives District 4
| Succeeded by|
State of Texas
|State executive offices||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Secretary of State | Attorney General | Comptroller | State Auditor | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of General Land Office | Chairman of Workforce Commission | Chairman of Public Utilities | Chairman of Railroad Commission |
List of Counties |
List of Cities |
Texas school districts A - L |
Texas school districts M - Z |