|U.S. House, California, District 30|
|High school||El Camino Real High School|
|Bachelor's||California State University, Northridge|
|Place of birth||Chicago, IL|
was a 2012 Republican
candidate seeking election to the U.S. House
's 30th Congressional District
The primary battle between Howard Berman and Brad Sherman made Politico's list of the 5 ugliest member vs. member battles.
Shelley's campaign website listed the following issues:
- Excerpt: "Susan Shelley supports a new constitutional amendment to repeal the entire U.S. income tax code and replace it with a five percent flat tax on income — personal income, corporate profits, capital gains, dividends, interest, income of any kind — above a level set by Congress."
- Medicare and Social Security
- Excerpt: "The answer to the insolvency of Social Security and Medicare is not benefit cuts or tax increases. It's more jobs at higher wages."
- Excerpt: "Even though most illegal immigrants are hard-working, decent people who are doing the best they can for their families under difficult circumstances, we just can't afford to subsidize the education, health care, housing, transportation and general living expenses of every impoverished person who comes to this country illegally."
- Excerpt: "The only bloodless way out of these countries is for the U.S. to make our economic and military aid contingent on complete privatization of all government-owned property and enterprise."
- Excerpt: "Susan Shelley opposes any effort by the United States to pressure Israel into entering "peace talks" with those who do not recognize Israel's right to exist."
- Excerpt: "Freedom is a condition that exists under a government of limited power. If we want to preserve freedom in America, we have to stay awake and prevent the government from becoming more powerful than the Constitution permits."
- Excerpt: "Capitalism is the economic system of a free country. "
- Excerpt: "Susan Shelley opposes estate and inheritance taxes of any kind on estates of any size."
- Excerpt: "The Obama health care reform law should be fully repealed."
- Excerpt: "The right of the states to legalize drugs, if the people of each state desire to do so, is protected by the Tenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. "
- See also: California's 30th congressional district elections, 2012
Shelley ran in the 2012 election for the U.S. House, representing California's 30th District. She was defeated in the June 5, 2012, open primary.