|Wisconsin State Senate, District 12|
|High school||Rhinelander High School (1978)|
|Bachelor's||University of Missouri-Columbia|
|J.D.||Marquette University Law School (1987)|
|| The information about this individual is current as of when his or her last campaign ended. See anything that needs updating? Send a correction to our editors
was a 2012 Democratic
candidate for District 12
of the Wisconsin State Senate
On her campaign website, Sommer listed the following five issues:
- Economy and Conservation: "Wisconsin's economy is tied to our conservation ethic. If Wisconsin is "open for business," then we cannot fail to recognize that Conservation in Wisconsin is our business. Our economy and our natural resources are not mutually exclusive; they are interdependent. Without a strong conservation ethic, our economy ultimately will fail."
- Education: "We must prioritize our State Budget and restore full funding to our public education system. Excellence in education promotes job growth and builds a strong economy. Furthermore, our democracy depends on an educated citizenry to thrive."
- Health Care: "Wisconsin must take the lead and implement a public health insurance option. This option will make health insurance affordable for uninsured folks and for insured folks who struggle to pay the high cost of private health insurance. The public option would avoid the excessive administrative costs that are endemic to the private health insurance system, thereby providing quality health insurance for less. The public option would be self-sufficient."
- Voting Rights: "Redistricting done in shadow with legislators signing secrecy agreements and taxpayers footing attorneys' bills is not only unacceptable but an intentional effort to suppress voter participation in our democracy. Likewise, Voter ID laws tend to deny eligible citizens the right to vote by making the registration process unnecessarily difficult."
- Women's Health: "Preventive health care is essential to women's health. The ability to obtain birth control is a necessary component of preventive care. We must promote women's health care issues rather than deny them."
- See also: Wisconsin State Senate elections, 2012
Sommer ran in the 2012 election for Wisconsin State Senate, District 12. Sommer defeated Lisa Theo in the Democratic primary on August 14th. She was defeated by Tom Tiffany (R) in the general election which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Wisconsin State Senate, District 12, General Election, 2012
|| Susan Sommer
|| Paul Ehlers
|Wisconsin State Senate, District 12 Democratic Primary, 2012
| Lisa Theo
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Susan + Sommer + Wisconsin + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found