|Texas State Senate, District 6|
|March 11, 2013 - Present|
|January 10, 2017|
|Years in position||1|
|Elections and appointments|
|First elected||March 2, 2013|
|Next general||November 8, 2016|
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Garcia served on the following committees:
|Texas Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Government Organization|
|• Intergovernmental Relations|
Garcia won election in the special election for Texas State Senate District 6. The seat was vacant following Mario Gallegos's death in October 2012. Garcia faced Carol Alvarado (D), Joaquin Martinez (D), Susan Delgado (D), Rodolfo M. Reyes (D), R.W. Bray (R), Dorothy Marie Olmos (R) and Maria Selva (G) in the special election on January 26, 2013. The field of eight candidates was narrowed to two in the runoff election. Democrats Garcia and Carol Alvarado met in a runoff on March 2, which Garcia won.
|Texas State Senate, District 6, Special Election Runoff, 2013|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
In 2013, the Texas State Legislature was in its 83rd legislative session from January 8 through May 27. Thirty minutes after the regular session ended, Governor Rick Perry called legislators back for a special session starting that evening. Two additional called sessions were held from July 1 through July 30 and July 30 through August 5.
- American's for Prosperity Texas - Texas Legislative Report Card 2013
- Legislators are scored on bills which relate to economic freedom, the size and scope of government and individual liberty.
- Conservative Roundtable - 2013 Conservative Solutions Scorecard
- Legislators are scored based on their votes on bills relating to the organizations principles, missions and goals of responsible, conservative solutions for Texas.
- Empower Texans - 2013 Fiscal Responsibility Index
- Legislators are scored based on their votes on bills relating to core budget and free enterprise issues.
- Environment Texas - 2013 Legislative Scorecard
- Legislators are scored based on votes for bills with the greatest impact on Texas’ environment and public health.
- Equality Texas - Equality Texas rankings for the Texas House during the 83rd regular legislative session
- Legislators are assigned grades reflecting votes on LGBT issues.
- Texans Uniting for Reform & Freedom - 2013 Session Report Card
- Legislators are scored based on their votes on bills relating to taxes and property rights.
- Texas Association of Business - For the Record 2013
- Legislators are scored based on issues critical to businesses, taxpayers and families.
- Texas Eagle Forum - 2013 Legislative Scorecard
- Legislators are scored based on votes relating to conservative issues.
- Texas League of Conservation Voters - 2013 Scorecard
- The 2013 TLCV scorecard covers a range of votes and issues, including: water, global warming, environmental regulation, clean energy, clean air, good government, oil and gas regulation and energy efficiency.
- Texas Right to Life - 2013 Legislative Scores
- Legislators are scored based on votes for bills relating to this issue of abortion.
- Texas Tribune Guest Column: Mark P. Jones - The 2013 Texas House, From Right to Left
- Mark P. Jones is the Chair of the Department of Political Science at Rice University. He builds a ranking of Texas state representatives each year based on their votes from the previous session. Jones then ranks legislators based on how liberal and conservative they are according to legislative history.
- The American Conservative Union - 2013 State Legislative Ratings Guide
- Legislators are scored on their votes on key conservative issues.
- Young Conservatives of Texas - 83rd Session House Budget Scorecard
- Legislators are scored based on votes for Amendments 2, 12, 51, 95 and 118.
- Young Conservatives of Texas: Legislative Ratings for the 83rd Legislature
- NARAL Pro-Choice Texas: 2013 Legislative Scorecard on House Bill 2
- Legislators are scored based on votes for House Bill 2.
- National Federation of Independent Business in Texas: 2013-2014 Legislative Voting Record
- Legislators are scored on their votes on key small business issues.
- Concerned Women for America of Texas: Legislative Scorecard for the 83rd session.
Empower Texans Fiscal Responsibility Index
Empower Texans produces the Fiscal Responsibility Index as "a measurement of how lawmakers perform on size and role of government issues." The index uses "exemplar votes on core budget and free enterprise issues that demonstrate legislators' governing philosophy." Legislators were graded along a 0 through 100 scale in 2013 and on an A through F grading scale in 2011.
Garcia received a score of 34.1 in the 2013 Fiscal Responsibility Index.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Sylvia + Garcia + Texas + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Texas State Legislature
- Texas State Senate
- Texas Senate Committees
- Texas Joint Committees
- Texas state legislative districts
- KHOU.com, "Garcia wins special runoff election for state Senate seat," March 2, 2013
- Chron.com, "Bitter District 6 race ends with Saturday runoff," February 26, 2013
- Dallas Morning News, "Houston special election for late state senator’s seat heading into runoff," January 26, 2013
- Texas Tribune, "Packed Field Could Mean a Runoff in SD-6," January 2, 2013
- The Republic, "Alvarado, Garcia, Bray vying to replace deceased Gallegos in Texas Senate special election," November 12, 2012
- The Dallas Morning News, "Governor sets special election for senate seat in Houston area," December 13, 2012
- Your Houston News, " Third candidate joins race for late Senator seat," December 28, 2012
- Texas Secretary of State, "1992 - Current Election History," accessed February 17, 2014
- kten.com, "Texas Lawmakers To Tackle Redistricting In Special Session," May 29, 2013
- Legislative reference Library of Texas, "Texas Legislative Sessions and Years," accessed June 13, 2014
- Empower Texans, "Fiscal Responsibility Index," accessed February 22, 2014
Mario Gallegos (D)
|Texas Senate District 6
2013 - present
| Succeeded by|