|Texas State Senate, District 6|
|March 11, 2013 - Present|
|January 10, 2017|
|Years in position||1|
|Elections and appointments|
|First elected||March 2, 2013|
|Next general||November 8, 2016|
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Garcia served on the following committees:
|Texas Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Government Organization|
|• Intergovernmental Relations|
Garcia won election in the special election for Texas State Senate District 6. The seat was vacant following Mario Gallegos's death in October 2012. Garcia faced Carol Alvarado (D), Joaquin Martinez (D), Susan Delgado (D), Rodolfo M. Reyes (D), R.W. Bray (R), Dorothy Marie Olmos (R) and Maria Selva (G) in the special election on January 26, 2013. The field of eight candidates was narrowed to two in the runoff election. Democrats Garcia and Carol Alvarado met in a runoff on March 2, which Garcia won.
|Texas State Senate, District 6, Special Election Runoff, 2013|
Empower Texans Fiscal Responsibility Index
Empower Texans produces the Fiscal Responsibility Index as "a measurement of how lawmakers perform on size and role of government issues." The index uses "exemplar votes on core budget and free enterprise issues that demonstrate legislators' governing philosophy." Legislators were graded along a 0 through 100 scale in 2013 and on an A through F grading scale in 2011.
Garcia received a score of 34.1 in the 2013 Fiscal Responsibility Index.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Sylvia + Garcia + Texas + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Texas State Legislature
- Texas State Senate
- Texas Senate Committees
- Texas Joint Committees
- Texas state legislative districts
- KHOU.com, "Garcia wins special runoff election for state Senate seat," March 2, 2013
- Chron.com, "Bitter District 6 race ends with Saturday runoff," February 26, 2013
- Dallas Morning News, "Houston special election for late state senator’s seat heading into runoff," January 26, 2013
- Texas Tribune, "Packed Field Could Mean a Runoff in SD-6," January 2, 2013
- The Republic, "Alvarado, Garcia, Bray vying to replace deceased Gallegos in Texas Senate special election," November 12, 2012
- The Dallas Morning News, "Governor sets special election for senate seat in Houston area," December 13, 2012
- Your Houston News, " Third candidate joins race for late Senator seat," December 28, 2012
- Texas Secretary of State, "1992 - Current Election History," accessed February 17, 2014
- Empower Texans, "Fiscal Responsibility Index," accessed February 22, 2014
Mario Gallegos (D)
|Texas Senate District 6
2013 - present
| Succeeded by|