The city was founded in 1823 as a frontier outpost called Fort Brooke, which was located at the current site of the Tampa Convention Center. Tampa is now home to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (NFL), the Tampa Bay Rays (Major League Baseball) and the Tampa Bay Lightning (NHL)..
- See also: Tampa, Florida municipal elections, 2015
The city of Tampa, Florida will hold elections for mayor and city council on March 3, 2015. A runoff, if necessary, will take place on March 24, 2015. The filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election is January 16, 2015. All seven city council seats are up for election.
The City of Tampa is divided into three At-Large districts and four single-member districts, which elect officials to the City Council. Current Council members, as of 2011:
|Mike Suarez||Member||District 1||At-Large|
|Mary Mulhern||Member||District 2||At-Large|
|Yvonne Yolie Capin||Member||District 3||At-Large|
|Harry Cohen||Vice Chair||District 4||Single-Member|
|Frank Reddick||Member||District 5||Single-Member|
|Charlie Miranda||Chair||District 6||Single-Member|
|Lisa J. Montelione||Member||District 7||Single-Member|
Each Council member earns an annual salary of $41,246, except for Chair Charlie Miranda, whose salary is $38,230
Tampa reported $440,000 spent on lobbying between 2000-2010 (see table).
|Year||Amount spent on lobbying|
Tampa pays membership dues to the Florida League of Cities, a government sector lobbying association. In 2010, Tampa hired Washington D.C.-based Holland & Knight and incurred contracting expenses of $120,000 (see chart above)
|Transparency grading process|
See also: Evaluation of Florida city websites
This website was reviewed on April 9, 2012.
- City council members are listed with some contact information and an email form.
- Some contact information and an email form are provided for administrative officials.
- Meeting schedules, agendas, and transcripts are posted.
- Zoning information and building permits are posted.
- City contracts are posted.
- Budgets are posted.
- Audits are posted.
- The budget includes the amount allocated to the Intergovernmental Relations office, which engages in Taxpayer-funded lobbying. The budget also lists membership payments to government sector lobbying associations.
- The site links to county property tax information.
- Email addresses are not listed for elected and administrative officials.
- No information is available on how to make public records requests.
- Tampa, Florida on Wikipedia
- U.S. Census Tampa population
- Tampa, Florida on Wikipedia
- Tampa fifth best city for outdoors
- Hillsborough County Supervisor of Elections, "City of Tampa Municipal Officers (2015)," accessed September 19, 2014
- City Council members
- Fact finder government salaries tampa
- reported lobbying expenditures
- Membership Directory
- Lobbying expenses
- Tampa, "City Council," accessed April 9, 2012
- Tampa, "Department Links," accessed April 9, 2012
- Tampa, "City Council Calendar," accessed April 9, 2012
- Tampa, "Agendas," accessed April 9, 2012
- Tampa, "Closed Captioning," accessed April 9, 2012
- Tampa, "Land Development," accessed April 9, 2012
- Tampa, "Bid Schedule," accessed April 9, 2012
- Tampa, "Budget," accessed April 9, 2012
- Tampa, "Accounting," accessed April 9, 2012
- Tampa, "2012 Budget," accessed April 9, 2012
- Hillsborough County Tax Collector, "Tax Search," accessed April 9, 2012