In 2013, 36 irregular office changes took place in 23 states. Indiana, with five changes, had the most. There were 9 irregular changes in top ballot offices and 27 in down ballot offices.
The reasons for state executive official changes in 2013 are as follows:
|Political - 12|
|Professional - 8|
|Personal - 14|
|N/A - 2|
The partisan breakdown for vacancies created in 2013 is as follows:
In 2013, four lieutenant governors resigned:
- Nebraska's Rick Sheehy (R) left his post on the heels of an investigative report from the Omaha World-Herald revealing that Sheehy had abused his state-issued mobile phone privileges by making thousands of personal phone calls to women other than his wife over the previous four years.
- Jennifer Carroll (R) resigned her position in Florida on March 13, 2013 after being asked to do so by Gov. Rick Scott. Carroll had been named as a subject of interest in her affiliation with Allied Veterans of the Worlds, who were found to be operating illegal gambling companies.
- Tim Murray (D) of Massachusetts resigned his seat effective June 2, in order to lead the Worcester Regional Chamber of Commerce.
- Greg Bell (R) of Utah announced on September 16 that he was resigning to return to the private sector in order to be able to save money for retirement.
Full table of resignations
The highlighted cells in the table below indicate which category the irregular office change falls into: political, professional and personal. N/A indicates a change that does not conform to any of the three categories or the reasons were never specified.
- Note: This list may be incomplete. If you know of any irregular office changes which have not been included here, please email us.
- The Wall Street Journal, "Nebraska Lieutenant Governor Resigns," February 2, 2013
- Tia Mitchell, Miami Herald, "Lt. Gov. Jennifer Carroll resigns from post," March 13, 2013
- Boston.com, "Lt. Gov. Timothy P. Murray to resign, says controversies had nothing to do with his decision," May 22, 2013
- HJNews, "Utah Lt. Gov. to resign, cites financial needs," September 16, 2013