Ten candidates head to congressional special election in Massachusetts
Boston, Massachusetts: Ten candidates, made up of seven Democrats and three Republicans, will face off for each party's nomination tomorrow for the 5th District seat. Polls will be open from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.
The special election will be held to fill the vacancy left by the special election victory by Rep. Ed Markey for the vacant Senate seat. Markey won election to the U.S. Senate from Massachusetts in the general election on June 25, 2013. The seat was formerly held by Secretary of State John Kerry, when he was nominated for his current position.
Democratic candidates include state Senator Will Brownsberger, Middlesex Sheriff Peter Koutoujian, state Senator Karen Spilka, state Senator Katherine Clark, state Representative Carl Sciortino, former Lexington School Committee member Martin Long and Paul John Maisano. In polls leading up to the primary election, Katherine Clark has led the field of Democratic candidates.
Massachusetts is one of 21 states with a mixed primary system. Unaffiliated voters are allowed to vote in the primary election. They may choose which party ballot they wish to vote on and still remain unaffiliated.
The winners of each party's primary will advance to the general election on December 10, 2013.
- Massachusetts' 5th Congressional District special election, 2013
- Massachusetts' 5th Congressional District
- Massachusetts elections, 2013
- United States House of Representatives
- Special elections to the 113th United States Congress (2013-2014)
- WCVB, "Massachusetts 5th District House race heads to primary," accessed October 13, 2013
- Wicked Local: Arlington, "Fifth District Congressional Special Election goes to the polls," accessed October 13, 2013
- Boston.com, "Markey win sets up special election for House" accessed June 27, 2013 (dead link)
- [WCVB TV, "Massachusetts U.S. Senate Special Election Results," accessed June 25, 2013 WCVB.com, "Special Election Results" accessed June 25, 2013]
- WCVB, "2013 U.S. Senate Special Election Results," accessed April 30, 2013
- The Gazette, "Mass. 5th District US House race heads to primary," accessed October 13, 2013 (dead link)
- ABC 6, "Mass. 5th District US House race heads to primary," accessed October 13, 2013
- Boston.com,, "Democratic candidates spar in 5th District debate," accessed October 13, 2013
- Roll Call, "Campaign Poll: Democrat Widens Lead in Massachusetts Special Primary | #MA05," accessed October 2, 2013
- Secretary of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Website, "Massachusetts Directory of Political Parties and Designations," accessed January 3, 2014
- Politico, "Special Massachusetts House election set" accessed July 16, 2013