Tennessee elections, 2013
Tennessee election information for 2013 is listed below.
|On the 2013 ballot|
Exceptions include special elections.
|Click here for all|
November 5, 2013
There is one special election scheduled for the state of Tennessee in 2013.
State House District 91
Rep. Lois DeBerry (D) passed away on July 28, 2013, from pancreatic cancer. A special election was called for November 21, with a primary on October 8. Raumesh Akbari and Jim Tomasik faced off in the November 21 special election, and Akbari won. Candidates had until August 29 to file certified nomination papers.
Voting in Tennessee
- See also: Voting in Tennessee
Important voting information
- Tennessee uses an open primary system, meaning voters are not required to declare a party preference when registering to vote.
- Registration must be completed roughly 29 days prior to an election.
- As of December 2014, Tennessee is one of the 35 states that have not implemented online voter registration.
- See also: Absentee voting by state
For information about eligibility, deadlines, military and overseas voting and updates to the voting laws in Tennessee, please visit our absentee voting by state page.
Tennessee is one of 34 states that has early voting with no specific requirements as to who can vote early. Early voting begins 20 days before Election Day and ends five days prior. The average number of days prior to an election that voters can cast an early ballot is 21 days in states with a definitive starting date.
Elections Performance Index
Tennessee ranked 17th out of the 50 states and District of Columbia in the Pew Charitable Trusts' Elections Performance Index (EPI), based on the 2012 elections. The EPI examines election administration performance and assigns an average percentage score based on 17 indicators of election performance. These indicators were chosen in order to determine both the convenience and integrity of these three phases of an election: registration, voting and counting. Tennessee received an overall score of 68 percent.
- memphisdailynews.com, "Political Season Heats Up With District 91 Deadline," August 28, 2013
- memphisdailynews.com, "11 File For State House District 91 Special Election," August 30, 2013
- shelbyvote.com, "Certified Candidate List," accessed September 6, 2013 (dead link)
- memphisdailynews.com, "Akbari Wins Democratic State House Primary," October 9, 2013
- Tennessee Secretary of State, "Early Voting," accessed December 16, 2013
- Pew Charitable Trusts, "Election Performance Index Report," accessed April 23, 2014
State of Tennessee
|State executive officers||
Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Comptroller | Treasurer | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance| Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of Environment & Conservation | Commissioner of Labor and Workforce Development | Chairman of Regulatory Authority |