Texas AG celebrates widening lawsuits against Obamacare
AUSTIN, Texas: On Friday, May 14, 2010, Greg Abbott, the Attorney General of Texas, issued a press release announcing the expansion of the multi-state coalition battling the recently enacted federal health care reform measure in federal court. In addition to the inclusion of seven states - Alaska, Arizona, Georgia, Indiana, Mississippi, Nevada, and North Dakota - to the litigative complaint, new constitutional arguments were also adjoined, such as Abbott's argument that "the federal law improperly meddles in states' decisions on providing health coverage to state employees." Despite this incorporation, Abbott's main point continues to be the legislation's violation of the "Commerce Clause" of the United States Constitution, arguing that the "act of doing absolutely nothing does not constitute an act of commerce."
It was shortly after President Barack Obama signed into law his controversial health care reform measure that Abbott and twelve other Attorneys General, all but one being Republican, first filed suit against "the federal government to stop the massive health care overhaul, claiming it's unconstitutional." In a written statement issued that same day, Abbott affirmed that he would do everything within his powers as state attorney general "to protect all Texans' constitutional rights, preserve the constitutional framework intended by our nation's founders, and defend our state from further infringement by the federal government."
- State Attorneys General Against the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act of 2010
- Attorney General of Texas election, 2010
- The Dallas Morning News, "Lawsuit widens against new health care law; Texas AG Greg Abbott, signer No. 4, applauds" 14 May, 2010
- Attorney General of Texas Greg Abbott, "Legal Challenge To Federal Healthcare Law Advances As Challengers Grow to 20 States, File Amended Complaint" 14 May, 2010
- Associated Press, "13 attorneys general sue over health care overhaul" 23 March, 2010
- The Dallas Morning News, "Abbott vows to challenge legislation in lawsuit" 23 March, 2010