Texas Commissioner of Insurance
|Texas Commissioner of Insurance|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2013 FY Budget:||$105,853,640|
|Authority:||Texas Insurance Code, Chapter 31, Section 21|
|Selection Method:||Appointed by Governor|
|Assumed office:||August 15, 2011|
|Other Texas Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Comptroller • Auditor • Education Commissioner • Agriculture Commissioner • Insurance Commissioner • Land Commissioner • Workforce Commission • Public Utility Commission • Railroad Commission|
The Commissioner's powers, term of office, etc. are derived from Section 31 of the Texas Insurance Code.
Chapter 31 Section 21:
|The commissioner is the department’s chief executive and administrative officer. The commissioner shall administer and enforce this code, other insurance laws of this state, and other laws granting jurisdiction or applicable to the department or the commissioner.|
Section 31 of the Texas Insurance Code establishes the requirements for office:
Section 31, Chapter 23:
| The commissioner must:
Under Article 4, Section 12 of the state constitution, "all vacancies in State or district offices, except members of the Legislature, shall be filled unless otherwise provided by law by appointment of the Governor."
The Insurance Commissioner's Office consists of three divisions:
- Insurance and HMOs
- State Fire Marshall
- Division of Workers' Compensation 
The duties of the Texas Department of Insurance are outlined in Sec. 31.002 of the state code.
- regulate the business of insurance in this state;
- administer the workers' compensation system of this state as provided by Title 5, Labor Code; and
- ensure that this code and other laws regarding insurance and insurance companies are executed.
Since 1957, Texas has had 15 Insurance Commissioners.
Click "show" for former officeholders.
|#||Name||Took office||Left office|
|1||William A. Harrison||1957||1962|
|4||Joseph D. Hawkins||1975||1976|
|7||Doyce R. Lee||1986||1987|
|10||Georgia D. Flint||1992||1992|
|11||J. Robert Hunter||1993||1994|
The budget for the Department of Insurance in Fiscal Year 2013 was $105,853,640.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
Physical address: Texas Department of Insurance
Austin, TX 78701
Mailing address: Texas Department of Insurance
P.O. Box 149104
Austin, TX 78714-9104
- ↑ Star-Telegram, "Politex: Davis files bill to elect insurance commissioner," March 12, 2011
- ↑ Statesman.com, "Perry names new insurance commissioner," July 20, 2011
- ↑ Chapter 31 Section 21 of the Texas Insurance Code
- ↑ Texas Insurance Code Section 31 Chapter 23
- ↑ Texas Department of Insurance, retrieved November 7, 2011.
- ↑ Texas statutes, "Insurance code: Texas Department of Insurance, Chapter 31: Organization of department," accessed December 27, 2011
- ↑ Legislative Reference Library of Texas , "General Appropriations Act for the 2012-2013 Biennium," accessed April 6, 2013
- ↑ The Council of State Governments,"The Book of States 2010 Table 4.11," retrieved November 4, 2011