Thomas Boone recall, Deer Valley Unified School District, Arizona (2010)
While the recall question never made it to the ballot, Boone resigned from his post in February 2011 in the midst of an investigation alleging misuse of public funds and conflicts of interest.
Boone was appointed to the DVUSD Governing Board in 2007 by then Maricopa County Superintendent of Schools Sandra Dowling to replace Ted Carpenter. Boone was elected to his first full term in November 2008. His term was set to expire in December 2012.
Reasons for recall
The official language submitted for the recall petition/ballot reads as follows:
1. Whereas, in his role as member of the DVUSD Governing Board and member of the Arizona House of Representatives, Mr. Boone cannot properly function in the best interest of the Deer Valley Unified School District
while serving in both elected bodies simultaneously.
2. And whereas, Mr. Boone serves as the Chairman of Valley Schools Management Group, an intergovernmental agency that is contracted by DVUSD to control the districts multi-purpose insurance funds, in direct conflict of interest as a member of the DVUSD Governing Board.
3. And whereas, Mr. Boone receives an annual compensation package of over $216,000 as the Chairman of VSMG, partly paid for by contracts entered into with DVUSD.
4. And whereas, Mr. Boone in his role as Representative for LD4, has introduced several bills to exempt himself from existing state statutes to avoid the perception of Conflict of Interest charges.
5. And whereas Mr. Boone has notified DVUSD in writing that a conflict of interest currently on his part does currently exists.
6. And whereas, Mr. Boone’s actions are currently being investigated by the Arizona Attorney General office for a Conflict of Interest
Path to the ballot
To place this recall question before voters, recall organizers would have needed to collect 11,694 signatures by June 22, 2010.
- Recall campaigns in Arizona
- Political recall efforts, 2010
- Maricopa County, Arizona ballot measures
- School board recalls