|Thyra K. Stevenson|
|Idaho House of Representatives District 6A|
|December 1, 2012 - 2014|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|Lewiston City Council|
|High school||Lewiston High School|
|Bachelor's||English, Boston University|
|Master's||MA, Spanish, New York University, Madrid, Spain|
|Ph.D.||ABD, Latin American Literature, University of Washington|
|Service/branch||U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary, Aircraft Commander, Instructor Pilot & Flight Examiner|
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Stevenson served on the following committees:
|Idaho Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Agricultural Affairs|
|• Joint Finance-Appropriations|
Stevenson's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
Enhance Economic Opportunity
- Excerpt: "I believe we must focus on policies that foster the expansion of Idaho-based companies, create new business, and encourage entrepreneurship and investment. More private-sector jobs, expanded tax base, more productivity: all these elements flourish when government does not get in the way, but rather facilitates a higher quality of economic life, free of excessive regulation."
Strong Future - Empower Idahoans
- Excerpt: "Education is key to Idaho's prosperity. We must continue to provide our citizens with quality educational opportunities. In addition, affordability and access to quality health care is a pressing need. It will require innovative ideas and solutions to ensure Idaho leads the way."
Promote Responsible Government
- Excerpt: "Idahoans are fortunate to live in a state that respects the importance of zero-based budgeting and responsible fiscal planning. Our priorities include less regulation and common Sense Tax Structures."
Elections for the office of Idaho House of Representatives took place in 2014. A primary election took place on May 20, 2014. The general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was March 14, 2014. Dan Rudolph was unopposed in the Democratic primary, while incumbent Thyra K. Stevenson was unopposed in the Republican primary. Rudolph defeated Stevenson in the general election.
|Idaho House of Representatives, District 6A, General Election, 2014|
|Republican||Thyra K. Stevenson Incumbent||49.9%||6,204|
Stevenson won election in the 2012 election for Idaho House of Representatives District 6A. Stevenson ran unopposed in the Republican primary on May 15 and defeated Pete Gertonson (D) in the general election on November 6, 2012.
|Idaho House of Representatives, District 6A, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Thyra K. Stevenson||54.2%||9,814|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
- Legislators are scored on their votes on bills "impacting economic freedom in the state."
- Legislators are scored on their stances on conservative issues.
Idaho Freedom Index
The Idaho Freedom Foundation, an Idaho-based, nonprofit educational research institute, released its "Idaho Freedom Index" in 2013. The index intended to show how Idaho legislators voted on the principles the Foundation seeks to promote. It measured each state legislator based on two tiers, which include whether legislators voted for or against bills that would create or eliminate government agencies, programs, and regulations, and bills that would impact the free market in a positive or negative way. Scores ranged from the highest possible score for members of the state Senate (194 points) and for members of the state House (180 points). A higher score indicated that the legislator voted more in favor of the values supported by the Foundation. Stevenson received a score of 102 points in the 2013 index, ranking 10th out of 70 members of the Idaho House of Representatives that were evaluated for the study.
Stevenson and her husband, Walt, have five children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Thyra + Stevenson + Idaho + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Idaho House of Representatives
- House Committees
- Idaho State Legislature
- Idaho state legislative districts
- Official campaign website
- Profile from Open States
- Legislative Profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Thyra Stevenson on LinkedIn
- thyrastevensonidahohouse.com, "Campaign," accessed September 15, 2014
- Idaho Secretary of State, "Official candidate list," accessed March 18, 2014
- Idaho Secretary of State, "Official primary election results," accessed June 12, 2014
- Idaho Secretary of State, "Official general election results," accessed November 20, 2014
- Idaho Secretary of State, "Official general election candidate list," accessed July 7, 2014
- Idaho Secretary of State, "2012 primary election results," accessed May 15, 2012
- Idaho Secretary of State – Elections Division, "November 6, 2012 General Election Results," accessed December 27, 2012
- StateScape, "Session schedules," accessed August 13, 2014
- StateScape, "Session schedules," accessed August 13, 2014
- Idaho Freedom Foundation, "2013 Freedom Index," accessed August 19, 2013
- Thyra Stevenson, "About Thyra," accessed October 12, 2012
Thomas Trail (R)
|Idaho House of Representatives District 6A
| Succeeded by|
Dan Rudolph (D)