|Iowa State Senate District 38|
|January 8, 2017|
|Years in position||6|
|Assistant Minority Leader, Iowa State Senate|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|Next general||November 8, 2016|
|Bachelor's||Iowa State University|
|Place of birth||Keystone, IA|
Kapucian serves as Assistant Minority Leader.
Kapucian earned his B.S. in Animal Sciences from Iowa State University. His professional experience includes working as a livestock farmer.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Kapucian served on the following committees:
|Iowa Committee Assignments, 2012|
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Kapucian served on these committees:
|Iowa Committee Assignments, 2011|
|• Natural Resources & Environment|
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Kapucian served on these committees:
|Iowa Committee Assignments, 2009|
|• Economic Growth|
|• Local Government|
- See also: Iowa State Senate elections, 2012
Kapucian ran for re-election to the Iowa State Senate in 2012. Due to redistricting, he ran in District 38. Kapucian ran unopposed in the Republican primary on June 5, 2012, and defeated Shelley Parbs (D) in the general election on November 6, 2012.
|Iowa State Senate, District 38, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Tim Kapucian Incumbent||54.8%||17,124|
On November 4, 2008, Kapucian was elected to the 20th District Seat in the Iowa State Senate, defeating Randy L. Braden (D). Kapucian raised $138,833 for his campaign, while Braden raised $198,324.
|Iowa State Senate, District 20 (2008)|
|Tim Kapucian (R)||15,527|
|Randy L. Braden (D)||13,916|
Comprehensive donor information for Kapucian is available dating back to 2008. Based on available campaign finance records, Kapucian raised a total of $311,715 during that time period. This information was last updated on September 19, 2013.
|Tim Kapucian's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Iowa State Senate, District 38||$163,307|
|2010||Iowa State Senate, District 20||$9,575|
|2008||Iowa State Senate, District 20||$138,833|
|Grand Total Raised||$311,715|
2012Kapucian won re-election to the Iowa State Senate in 2012. During that election cycle, Kapucian raised a total of $163,307.
|Iowa State Senate 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Tim Kapucian's campaign in 2012|
|Iowa Republican Party||$52,015|
|Iowa Farm Bureau||$9,000|
|Associated General Contractors of Iowa||$7,000|
|Brownell Iii, Frank||$5,000|
|Iowa Corn Growers Association||$5,000|
|Total Raised in 2012||$163,307|
|Source:Follow the Money|
In 2008 Kapucian collected $138,833 in donations.
His four largest contributors were:
|Iowa Republican Party||$73,342|
|Iowa Farm Bureau||$5,830|
|Tama County Republican Central Committee||$5,000|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
- Legislators are scored on "their records on constitutional principles and civil liberties."
- Legislators are scored on their votes on "key conservative issues."
- Legislators are scored on their votes with or against SC's official position.
Kapucian has a wife, Brenda.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Tim + Kapucian + Iowa + Senate
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Official Iowa State Senate website of Tim Kapucian
- Iowa Senate Republican Caucus Profile
- Profile from Open States
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative Profile from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2012, 2010, 2008
- Des Moines Register, "Iowa Sen. Tim Kapucian endorses Rick Santorum for president," November 11, 2011
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Official Primary Results," accessed October 1, 2014
- Iowa Department of Elections, "2012 Primary Candidates," accessed April 17, 2012
- Iowa Secretary of State, "2008 Official election results," accessed April 7, 2014
- Follow The Money, "Money raised by 2008 Senate candidates," accessed April 8, 2014
- followthemoney.org, "Kapucian, Tim L," accessed September 19, 2013
- Follow The Money, "2008 Campaign Contributions," accessed April 8, 2014
- StateScape, "Session schedules," accessed August 2, 2014
Tom Rielly (D)
|Iowa State Senate District 38
| Succeeded by|
|Iowa State Senate District 20
| Succeeded by|
Brad Zaun (R)