|Minnesota House of Representatives, District 37B|
|2009 - present|
|January 6, 2015|
|Years in position||5|
|Minority Whip, Minnesota House of Representatives|
|2013 - present|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|First elected||November 4, 2008|
|Bachelor's||University of Minnesota|
|Profession||Commercial Insurance Rep.|
- 1 Biography
- 2 Committee assignments
- 3 Issues
- 4 Elections
- 5 Campaign donors
- 6 Scorecards
- 7 Personal
- 8 Recent news
- 9 External links
- 10 References
Sanders earned his B.A. in Political Science from the University of Minnesota. His professional experience includes working as a Commercial Insurance Representative for Fireman's Fund Insurance, and serving on the staff of U.S. Representative Jim Ramstad.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Sanders served on the following committees:
|Minnesota Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Commerce and Consumer Protection Finance and Policy|
|• Government Operations|
|• Rules and Legislative Administration|
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Sanders served on the following committees:
|Minnesota Committee Assignments, 2011|
|• Commerce and Regulatory Reform, Vice-chair|
|• Government Operations and Elections|
|• Jobs and Economic Development Finance|
|• Transportation Policy and Finance|
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Sanders served on the following committees:
|Minnesota Committee Assignments, 2009|
|• Commerce and Labor|
|• State and Local Government Operations Reform, Technology and Elections|
Sanders's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
Responsibly Manage and Contain Government Spending
- Excerpt: "Reduced projected spending by $2.5 billion while protecting classroom funding"
Decrease Tax Burdens on MN Businesses
- Excerpt: "Phased out statewide business property tax"
Reduce Regulatory Burden
- Excerpt: "Cut the red tape by streamlining permitting processes for prospective and expanding Minnesota businesses"
Increase Investments in Minnesota Job Creators
- Excerpt: "Enhanced the successful Angel Investor Credit program to spur job creation and enhanced efforts to push more Angel Investment in Greater Minnesota"
Elections for the office of Minnesota House of Representatives took place in 2014. A primary election was held on August 12, 2014, and a general election took place on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was June 3, 2014. Susan Witt was unopposed in the Democratic primary. Incumbent Tim Sanders was unopposed in the Republican primary. Sanders defeated Witt in the general election.
Sanders won re-election in the 2012 election for Minnesota House of Representatives District 37B. He defeated Torey Hall in the Republican primary on August 14 and defeated Jon Chlebeck (D) in the general election on November 6, 2012.
|Minnesota House of Representatives, District 37B, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Tim Sanders Incumbent||54%||11,416|
|Minnesota House of Representatives, District 37B Republican Primary, 2012|
|Tim Sanders Incumbent||89.7%||978|
|Minnesota House of Representatives, District 51A (2010)|
|Zak Chlebeck (DFL)||8,097||44.05%|
|Tim Sanders (R)||10,270||55.87%|
Sanders raised $41,881 for his campaign.
|Minnesota House of Representatives, District 51A (2008)|
|Tim Sanders (R)||11,813||47.84%|
|Shawn Hamilton (DFL)||10,679||43.24%|
|Daniel Sanders (I)||2,166||8.77%|
Comprehensive donor information for Sanders is available dating back to 2008. Based on available campaign finance records, Sanders raised a total of $123,613 during that time period. This information was last updated on July 16, 2013.
|Tim Sanders's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Minnesota State House, District 37B||$42,442|
|2010||Minnesota State House, District 51A||$39,290|
|2008||Minnesota State House, District 51A||$41,881|
|Grand Total Raised||$123,613|
2012Sanders won re-election to the Minnesota House of Representatives in 2012. During that election cycle, Sanders raised a total of $42,442.
|Minnesota House of Representatives 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Tim Sanders's campaign in 2012|
|Mark A. Murdock House Dist. 10B Committee||$750|
|37th Senate District RPM||$600|
|Austin Bleess House Dist. 51A Committee||$500|
|Total Raised in 2012||$42,442|
|Source:Follow the Money|
2010Sanders won re-election to the Minnesota House of Representatives in 2010. During that election cycle, Sanders raised a total of $39,290.
|Minnesota House of Representatives 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Tim Sanders's campaign in 2010|
|Cummins, Robert & Joan||$1,000|
|Hubbard, Stanley & Karen||$500|
|51st Senate District RPM||$500|
|Freedom Club State PAC||$500|
|Total Raised in 2010||$39,290|
|Source:Follow the Money|
2008Sanders won election to the Minnesota House of Representatives in 2008. During that election cycle, Sanders raised a total of $41,881.
|Minnesota House of Representatives 2008 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Tim Sanders's campaign in 2008|
|Cummins, Robert & Joan||$1,000|
|Minnesota Telecommunication Alliance||$500|
|Total Raised in 2008||$41,881|
|Source:Follow the Money|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
In 2014, the Legislature was in session from February 25 through May 19.
- Liberty Minnesota: 2014
- Legislators are scored on bills of interest to an organization advocating "limited government, free enterprise, and individual liberty."
- NARAL Pro-Choice Minnesota: 2014 Legislative Scorecard
- Legislators are scored on pro-choice issues.
In 2013, the Legislature was in session from January 8 to May 20.
- Americans for Prosperity Minnesota: 2013 Scorecard
- Legislators are scored "on key votes on issues concerning economic freedom, which includes taxes, budgets and spending, health care and more."
- Minnesota Family Council: 2013 Scorecard
- Legislators are scored on votes of interest to a socially conservative "pro-family" organization.
- Minnesota Majority: 2013 Scorecard
- Legislators are scored on "a wide range of issues including taxes, government spending, elections, childcare unionization, property rights and energy policy" per "the traditional values position."
- Taxpayers League of Minnesota: 2013 Scorecard
- Legislators are scored on votes of interest to an economically conservative organization.
- NARAL Pro-Choice Minnesota: 2013 Legislative Scorecard
- Legislators are scored on votes regarding reproductive issues.
Taxpayers League of Minnesota
The Taxpayers League of Minnesota, a Minnesota-based taxpayer advocacy organization, releases a legislative scorecard for the Minnesota House of Representatives and Minnesota State Senate once a year. The scorecard gives each legislator a score based on how they voted in the prior legislative term on tax issues and “their efforts to balance the state budget without a tax increase.” The organization also compiles a legislator’s individual "Lifetime Score."
Sanders is married with one child.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Tim + Sanders + Minnesota + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Office website
- Campaign website
- Profile from Open States
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2008
- Tim Sanders on Facebook
- Tim Sanders on Twitter
- Tim Sanders on LinkedIn
- Project Vote Smart - Rep. Sanders
- "timothysandersmn," Official Campaign Website
- Mitt Romney for President, "Mitt Romney Announces Support of Minnesota Leaders," February 3, 2012
- Minnesota Secretary of State, "State Canvassing Board Report," August 19, 2014
- Minnesota Secretary of State, "2014 State General Election Candidate Filings," accessed July 25, 2014
- AP "Minnesota - Summary Vote Results," accessed August 15, 2012
- Minnesota Secretary of State, "2010 Election Results," accessed March 9, 2014
- Minnesota Secretary of State, "All Races by Legislative District," accessed April 23, 2014
- Follow the Money's report on Sanders' 2008 campaign contributions
- Follow the Money, "Sanders, Tim." Retrieved July 16, 2013
- Liberty Minnesota, "About Us," accessed July 25, 2014
- Americans for Prosperity, "2013 Legislative Scorecard," accessed July 26, 2014
- Minnesota Family Council, "2013 Minnesota Family Council Legislative Scorecard," accessed July 26, 2014
- Minnesota Majority, "Scorecards," accessed July 26, 2014
- Taypayers League of Minnesota, "Legislative Scorecards," accessed May 15, 2014
- Taypayers League of Minnesota, "Legislative Scorecard, 2013," accessed May 15, 2014
- Taypayers League of Minnesota, "Legislative Scorecard, 2012," accessed May 15, 2014
- Taypayers League of Minnesota, "Legislative Scorecard, 2011," accessed May 15, 2014
Kurt Bills (R)
|Minnesota House of Representatives District 37B
| Succeeded by|
|Minnesota House of Representatives District 51A
| Succeeded by|
Sandra Masin (DFL)
State of Minnesota
St. Paul (capital)
Minnesota State Constitution | House of Representatives | Senate | County Attorney | House Research Department | Legislative Reference Library | Senate Counsel Research and Fiscal Analysis | Legislative Auditor |
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Commissioner of Management and Budget | State Auditor | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor and Industry | Chair of Public Utilities |