|California State Senate District 14|
|December 6, 2010-Present|
|December 16, 2014|
|Years in position||3|
|Elections and appointments|
|First elected||November 2, 2010|
|Next election||November 4, 2014|
|Term limits||2 terms|
|California State Assembly|
Berryhill's professional experience includes working as Vice President of Berryhill Orchards, Incorporated, and owner of the Tom Berryhill Ranch.
He is involved with a number of organizations, including the 4-H Sponsoring Committee, California Association of Winegrape Growers, California Rifle and Pistol Association, Modesto Chamber of Commerce, Modesto Sunrise Rotary, National Rifle Association, and Oakhurst Chamber of Commerce.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Berryhill served on the following committees:
|California Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Banking and Financial Institutions, Vice-chair|
|• Budget and Fiscal Review|
|• Governmental Organization|
|• Human Services, Vice-chair|
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Berryhill servves on these committees:
|California Committee Assignments, 2011|
|• Energy, Utilities and Communications|
|• Governmental Organization|
|• Human Services|
|• Veterans Affairs|
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Berryhill served on these committees while a member of the California State Assembly:
|California Committee Assignments, 2009|
|• Accountability and Administrative Review|
|• Agriculture, Vice-chair|
|• Human Services|
|• Utilities and Commerce|
|• Water, Parks and Wildlife|
Berryhill's sponsored legislation includes:
- AB 85 - Junk dealers and recyclers
- AB 979 - Hunting or fishing: local regulation
- AB 1254 - Hunter education courses: minimum hours
For details and a full listing of sponsored bills, see the House site.
Berryhill's campaign website lists the following issues:
- Job Creation
- Excerpt: "We can defeat this recession by creating an atmosphere that encourages the private sector to invest in our people and our state. It is all about jobs, jobs and more jobs."
- Lower taxes and less spending
- Excerpt: "I believe that Ronald Reagan had it right. Families benefit from lower taxes and keeping government bureaucrats under control."
- Excerpt: "As a fourth generation farmer, I understand it is agriculture that drives the economic engine of California."
- Excerpt: "A strong education system is the best jobs program possible and breaks the cycle of poverty."
- Crime and Public Safety
- Excerpt: "Keeping our citizens safe is our governments' first responsibility. I will work closely with our local governments and police departments to give them the tools and resources to take the fight to the gangs and drug dealers."
- The Second Amendment
- Excerpt: "I believe that law abiding citizens have a right to own a gun and that is their business...not the governments."
Political Courage test
Berryhill did not provide answers to the California State Legislative Election 2008 Political Courage Test. The test provides voters with how a candidate would vote on the issues if elected.
Capitol Weekly, California's major weekly periodical covering the state legislature, publishes an annual legislative scorecard to pin down the political or ideological leanings of every member of the legislature based on how they voted on an assortment of bills in the most recent legislative session. The 2009 scores were based on votes on 19 bills, but did not include how legislators voted on the Proposition 1A (2009). On the scorecard, "100" is a perfect liberal score and "0" is a perfect conservative score. ,
On the 2009 Capitol Weekly legislative scorecard, Berryhill ranked as an 11.
Berryhill was eligible but did not seek re-election in 2010. He instead ran for election to the 14th District seat in the California State Senate. He defeated Tim J. Campi, Bret De St. Jeor, Heidi Fuller, and Tom Marsella in the June 8 primary. He then defeated Larry Johnson in the November 2 general election.
|California State Senate, District 14 General Election (2010)|
|Tom Berryhill (R)||191,097|
|Larry Johnson (D)||96,835|
|California State Senate, District 14 Republican Primary (2010)|
|Tom Berryhill (R)||64,877|
|Bret De St. Jeor (R)||11,152|
|Tom Marsella (R)||10,452|
|Heidi Fuller (R)||5,111|
|Tim J. Campi (R)||4,128|
In 2008 Berryhill was re-elected to the California State Assembly District 25. Berryhill (R) finished with 102,951 votes while his opponent Taylor White (D) finished with 69,223 votes. Berryhill raised $540,605 for his campaign fund.
|California State Assembly District 25|
|Tom Berryhill (R)||102,951|
In 2010, Berryhill raised $623,965 in contributions. 
His four largest contributors were:
|California Association Of Realtors||$15,600|
|Farmers Insurance Group||$14,700|
|California Department Of Forestry Fire Fighters||$12,600|
|California Dental Association||$11,700|
Below are Berryhill's top 5 campaign contributors in the 2008 election:
|CA Department of Forestry Fire Fighters||$14,400|
|Farmers Insurance Group||$10,500|
|CA Professional Fire Fighters||$10,000|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Tom + Berryhill + California + Senate
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Senator Tom Berryhill's Flex-Work Week Legislation Killed in Senate Labor - Sierra Sun Times
- Senator Tom Berryhill Announces the Defeat of Senate Bill 787, Legislation to ... - Sierra Sun Times
- Senator Tom Berryhill's Car Sales Tax Exemption Clears First Policy Committee - Sierra Sun Times
- Ongoing wave of metal theft prompts further legislation - California Farm Bureau
- Rockfish trips keep anglers grounded - Stockton Record
- California's Late-Night Bar Bill Defeated - Huffington Post
- CEQA Roundup: What the CEQA debate is really about - California Economy Reporting
- Senators For Immigration Reform - MyMotherLode.com
- Timm Herdt: For the GOP, a pathway to recovery in California? - Contra Costa Times
- Bills To Expand Yosemite National Park Finding Bipartisan Support - National Parks Traveler
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
- Senate website
- Legislative profile of Tom Berryhill on Project Vote Smart
- Biographical profile of Tom Berryhill on Project Vote Smart
- Campaign contributions: 2010, 2008, 2006
- ↑ Project Vote Smart - Rep. Berryhill
- ↑ Tom Berryhill's campaign website, Issues
- ↑ Project Vote Smart - Rep. Berryhill Issue Positions
- ↑ Capitol Weekly, "Capitol Weekly's Legislative Scorecard", December 17, 2009
- ↑ Fox and Hounds Daily, "Random Thoughts on the Political Scene", December 18, 2009
- ↑ Capitol Weekly", Downloadable 2009 Capitol Weekly State Legislative Scorecard
- ↑ California Senate primary results
- ↑ Sacramento Bee, California State Senate election results
- ↑ California State Assembly election results
- ↑ Campaign funds
- ↑ 2010 contributions
- ↑ Follow the Money - 2008 Campaign contributions
|California State Senate District 14
| Succeeded by|
|California State Assembly District 25
| Succeeded by|