|Iowa State Senate District 16|
|Elections and appointments|
Hancock was a Fire Fighter/Fire Chief for the Epworth Fire Department from 1968 to 2003. He is a retired Postal Worker for the United States Postal Service.
Hancock will not be seeking re-election in 2012.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Hancock served on to these committees:
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Hancock served on these committees:
- Agriculture Committee, Iowa State Senate
- Appropriations Committee, Iowa State Senate
- Environment & Energy Independence Committee, Iowa State Senate
- Judiciary Committee, Iowa State Senate
- Natural Resources Committee, Iowa State Senate
- Transportation Committee, Iowa State Senate
- See also: Iowa State Senate elections, 2012
Hancock announced in October 2011 that he would not seek re-election in 2012. Although he was placed in the same district as fellow incumbent Tod Bowman (D), Hancock said redistricting was not a factor in his decision. "...I just really didn’t have the energy to do it again. I just felt I didn’t want to go through another election. I love the job, but I kind of hate the politics of it. But I certainly did my best for seven years, and I have another year left," he said.
Hancock officially submitted his resignation, effective January 1, 2013, on February 1, 2012.
On November 4, 2008, Hancock was re-elected to the 16th District Seat in the Iowa State Senate, defeating Dave McLaughlin (R).  Hancock raised $279,317 for his campaign, while McLaughlin raised $50,304. 
|Iowa State Senate, District 16 (2008)|
|Tom Hancock (D)||17,129|
|Dave McLaughlin (R)||13,660|
In 2008 Hancock raised $279,317 in donations.
His four largest contributors were:
|Iowa Senate Democratic Majority Fund||$169,602|
|All Children Matter||$13,600|
|International Association of Fire Fighters||$5,500|
|Iowa Farm Bureau||$5,299|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Tom + Hancock + Iowa + Senate
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Quick Takes - The Daily Times
- Health Exchange Cost Estimates Go Up - Kaiser Health News
- First Edition: April 12, 2013 - from News-Medical.Net - News-Medical.net
- Capitol digest - Quad-City Times - Quad City Times
- New immigration attack: Bill too pricey, Kaine backs gun-control measures ... - Politico
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
Hancock and his wife, Coleen, have one child.
- Sen. Hancock's Website
- Official Iowa State Senate website of Tom Hancock
- Project Vote Smart biography
- Project Vote Smart Legislative Profile
- Campaign Contributions: 2008, 2006, 2004
- Tom Hancock on Facebook
|Iowa State Senate District 16
| Succeeded by|
Dick Dearden (D)