|Ohio House of Representatives District 37|
|High school||Archbishop Hoban|
|Bachelor's||University of Akron|
|Master's||John Carroll University|
Schmida has worked as a teacher for 40 years, starting in 1972. He graduated from the University of Akron in 1972 and received his M.Ed. from John Carroll University in 1978. He served as vice-president of the Cleveland Heights Teachers Union from 1982-1990 and as president from 1990 to the present. In addition to his career in education, Schmida has served as a member of the Reminderville Village Council and served as mayor of Reminderville from 1988 to 1998. He has also been active in the AFL-CIO.
In an electronic communication with Ballotpedia, Schmida discussed his campaign themes and policy goals:
- "In talking with citizens throughout the state, it is readily apparent that we are all frustrated with divisive partisan politics. We need legislators who will faithfully represent the wishes of Ohioans and will protect the interests of our working families. As a state representative, I will work to provide:"
- 1. "A high quality system of pre K-12 public schools and affordable college to insure that our children are prepared for the challenges of our global economy."
- 2. "A robust economic climate that will create good jobs, encourage investment, and help small businesses thrive."
- 3. "A balanced approach to state finances to protect local governments from having to cut services."
- 4. "A legislature that can collaborate and cooperate to get things done as opposed to advancing a partisan national agenda."
Schmida ran in the 2012 election for Ohio House, District 37. Schmida was unopposed in the March 6 Democratic primary election and was defeated by District 42 incumbent Kristina Daley Roegner (R) in the general election which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Ohio House of Representatives, District 37, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Kristina Daley Roegner Incumbent||54%||32,412|
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Tom + Schmida + Ohio + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- NPR, "After Issue 2 Victory, Ohio Teachers Line Up to Run for State Office," December 8, 2011
- [Electronic Communication with Ballotpedia Staff, April 10, 2012]
- Ohio Chamber of Commerce, "2012 General Assembly Primary Candidates," January 17, 2012
- Ohio Secretary of State, "2012 Republican Primary Results," accessed June 12, 2014
- Ohio Secretary of State, "2012 Democratic Primary Results," accessed June 12, 2014
- Ohio Secretary of State, "Ohio official results for 2012 General Election," accessed June 10, 2014
State of Ohio
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor of State | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Superintendent of Industrial Compliance and Labor | Chairman of Public Utilities |