|U.S. House, Missouri, District 7|
Upon graduation from Ozark High School, Stilson earned his undergraduate degree in Geological and Environmental Sciences at Stanford University, where he played baseball as a pitcher for the Stanford University Cardinals for 3 years and wrote for the Conservative Stanford Review. He then worked on his Master's degree at the University of California at Merced, where he was a conservative activist and member of the Merced County Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors. He currently resides on his family's farm in Ozark, Missouri where he is studying to complete his masters in Environmental Geochemistry.
On his campaign website, Stilson lists six issues. They are:
- The Constitution
- "The individual’s Constitutional protection from warrantless, government intrusion is being violated by the Federal Government. The NDAA, Patriot Act, IRS code, administrative regulations, numerous Executive Orders and other well-intended legislation have opened the door for abuse of Constitutional rights. The nation’s security can be assured without the loss of Constitutional Due Process, restricted freedoms, or suspension of liberties. Tom supports repeal of these acts and regulations in favor of legislation that reflects our Founding Fathers’ intentions while continuing to guarantee national security."
- Economy, Agriculture, and Energy
- "The government is not the lifeblood of this nation’s economy. Our economy and business can be managed by the power of the consumer. Government regulation, as displayed by the recent mortgage and housing crisis, hinders our economy and has dire consequences. Progressives may demonize Capitalism as a selfish system when, in fact, business owner’s benefit from moral practices and the consumer benefits from the competition of a free market. Hard work, dedication, ingenuity, and skill cannot be replaced by government programs that support industries that would otherwise fail."
- Our Children
- "Our schools need to be locally controlled. The Federal Government is exercising more and more control over how schools teach our children. Tom will work to repeal the well-intentioned, but ill-fated No Child Left Behind Act. He supports eliminating the US Department of Education and returning the operation and function of schools to the States and their respective communities. Education is a local issue and up to the family and community- not the Federal Government."
- Limited Government
- "The elimination of numerous federal agencies coupled with the streamlining of our government is a means to reaffirm our economic sovereignty. These agencies are best managed at the state and local levels or left in the hands of the individual. The Federal Government doesn’t have a revenue problem; it has a spending problem. Furthermore, the Federal Government does not have the Constitutional authority to redistribute wealth and must ultimately be limited to its four Constitutional purposes: Defense of our nation; regulation of interstate commerce; provide a national postal service and manage a national currency. Tom supports the Balanced Budget Amendment."
- Our Security
- "Our government must focus on protecting our nation abroad before a threat reaches our borders. This means our military must be given the tools necessary to force our enemies into submission. All too often, our military has been politicized by civilian leaders and, consequently, wars are not won decisively because of concern for public opinion or collateral damage. War is what occurs when civilization breaks down. We must fight accordingly."
- Pro-life an Pro-marriage
- "Simply, Tom believes life begins at conception. Abortion undermines the God-given Right to Life as outlined in our Constitution. The government has no right to abridge, advocate, or regulate the union between two consenting adults. However, to redefine marriage as something other than between a man and woman distorts our cultural values and traditions."
Stilson ran in the 2012 election for the U.S. House to represent Missouri's 7th District. He faced Billy Long and Mike Moon in the Republican primary on August 7, 2012. Stilson was defeated by incumbent Billy Long.
Republican Primary Results
|Missouri's 7th Congressional District Republican Primary, 2012|
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Tom + Stilson + Missouri + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Official Campaign Website
- BBCW Article about Stilson's Entry
- LinkedIn Profile
- Twitter Account
- Stanford Baseball Player Bio