Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Illinois House of Representatives District 10|
Swiss' website highlighted the following campaign themes:
- Jobs and Economic Development
- Excerpt: "Illinois is one of five states that have lost population; and we have experienced a net loss of jobs. One thing is certain: whatever we are doing now is not working."
- Education Reform & School Funding
- Excerpt: "We need to be honest if we are going to discuss education reform. In Illinois, we are in the top ten spending in the nation per pupil. The United States is number one in the world in gross nation product spent per child. The current problems in the education system are more involved than simple funding."
- Public Pensions
- Excerpt: "The question is: Does one believe that the present pension system, with its present funding stream, is sustainable? The only credible answer is: No!"
- Excerpt: "The biggest single problem, besides State pensions, is the fact that the State Legislature authorized and permitted a Medicaid program larger than we can afford. Even with the tax increase—the largest increase in Illinois history—the State is unable to pay its bills on time."
- Excerpt: "To have gambling in Illinois, yet not have gambling in the number one tourist city of Illinois—Chicago—does not make sense. As long as Chicago can maintain the integrity of the Gaming Board, then Chicago ought to have a casino."
- Ethics Reform
- Excerpt: "There is less corruption when the candidate is responsible for their own campaign and spending. The voters then know who to hold accountable. Artificial limits that hamper individual candidates are not in the best interest of the state."
|Illinois House of Representatives, District 10 Democratic Primary, 2012|
|Derrick Smith Incumbent||76.8%||7,247|
State of Illinois
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Comptroller | Auditor General | Superintendent of Education | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Director of Labor | Chairman of Commerce Commission |