Tommy Adams, Willie Lee Land, and Terrya Norsworthy recall, Jasper, Texas (2011)
Tommy Adams represents District 3, Willie Lee Land represents District 4, and Terrya Norsworthy is the Mayor Pro-Tem and the At-Large representative. The three council members had filed a case in federal court seeking an injunction to stop the recall election.
Reasons for recall
The recall effort was led by area lawyer Mike Getz through a group called the League of Concerned Citizens for Jasper. The League of Concerned Citizens accused all three recall targets of incompetence and misconduct. All three recall targets were African-American and had voted earlier this year to hire the city's first African-American police chief. Recall organizers said that more competent candidates had been passed over for the job.
Path to the ballot
The ability to force a recall election in Jasper is laid out in the city's charter. According to the recall rules set forth in that charter, a recall election for a city council member can be mandated if a petition is signed by at least 30% of registered voters. The current petition will need signatures from approximately 324 registered Jasper voters to force a recall.
- Percentage of votes to recall Tommy Adams: 25%
- Percentage of votes to recall Willie Lee Land: 59%
- Percentage of votes to recall Terrya Norsworthy: 54%
- KTRE', "Recall election ousts 2 Jasper city council members from seats" November 8, 2011
- KFDM News, "Recall effort underway in Jasper," June 28, 2011 (dead link)
- Courthouse News Service, "More Ugly Race Problems Decried in Jasper, Texas" September 16, 2011
- KDFM, "Jasper recall effort to move into court system," August 10, 2011 (dead link)
State of Texas
|State executive offices||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Secretary of State | Attorney General | Comptroller | State Auditor | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of General Land Office | Chairman of Workforce Commission | Chairman of Public Utilities | Chairman of Railroad Commission |