|Mississippi State Senate, District 47|
|2012 - present|
|January 3, 2016|
|Years in position||3|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 8, 2011|
|First elected||November 8, 2011|
|Next primary||August 4, 2015|
|Next general||November 3, 2015|
|High school||Oak Grove High School|
|Associate's||Pearl River Community College|
|Bachelor's||University of Southern Mississippi|
|Profession||Small business owner|
Smith has served as chairman of the Picayune School District's Board of Trustees.
Smith earned his B.S. from the University of Southern Mississippi. His professional experience includes owning Stonewall's BBQ & Catering.
In the 2012-2013 legislative session, Smith served on the following committees:
|Mississippi Committee Assignments, 2012|
|• Local and Private, Vice Chair|
|• Highways and Transportation|
|• Public Health and Welfare|
|• Public Property|
Eleven state executive offices in Mississippi are up for election in 2015. The general election will be held on November 3, 2015, following a primary election on August 4, 2015. Runoffs are scheduled for August 25 in case no candidate receives a majority (50 percent plus one) of the popular vote in a given primary race. The following sections summarize filed candidates running for each state executive office on the ballot:
See also: Mississippi Auditor election, 2015
Public Service Commission (3 seats)
See also: Mississippi Public Service Commission election, 2015
- See also: Mississippi State Senate elections, 2011
Smith won the 2011 election for Mississippi Senate District 47. He defeated incumbent Ezell Lee and challenger John McCay, Jr. in the primary on August 2, 2011. Mitch Ellerby ran unopposed in the Democratic primary but withdrew prior to the November 8, 2011 general election.
|Mississippi State Senate, District 47 Republican Primary, 2011|
|Ezell Lee Incumbent||43.8%||2,633|
In 2011, Smith received $29,025 in campaign donations. The top contributors are listed below.
|Mississippi State Senate 2011 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Tony Smith's campaign in 2011|
|Mississippi Bankers Association||$2,000|
|Mississippi Association Of Realtors||$1,500|
|Executive Real Estate||$1,000|
|Total Raised in 2011||$29,025|
|Total Votes received in 2011||3,378|
|Cost of each vote received||$8.59|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
In 2014, the Legislature was in session from January 7 through April 2.
- Business and Industry Political Education Committee: Legislator "Business and Jobs" Report Card
- Legislators are scored on "economic growth, jobs and other broad job-related issues."
Smith has been a secretary of the local Chamber of Commerce.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term Tony + Smith + Mississippi + Senate
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Mississippi Public Service Commission
- Mississippi Public Service Commission election, 2015
- Mississippi State Legislature
- Mississippi State Senate
- Senate Committees
- Joint Committees
- Mississippi state legislative districts
- Office of the Mississippi Secretary of State: Elections & Voting
- Office website
- Profile from Open States
- Mississippi Republican Party, "Daily Updated Candidate Qualification," February 2, 2015
- Facebook.com, "Tony Smith - MS Senate District 47," accessed July 26, 2011
- Mississippi Secretary of State, "2015 Candidate Qualifying List," accessed March 4, 2015
- Mississippi Department of State, 2011 Official State Senate Candidate List
- Picayune Item, "Tony Smith unseats veteran incumbent State Sen. Lee," August 3, 2011
- Follow the Money, "2011 Campaign Contributions," accessed May 15, 2014
- StateScape, "Session Schedules," accessed July 29, 2014
- Business and Industry Political Education Committee, "Legislator 'Business & Jobs' Report Card - 2014 Legislative Session," accessed August 30, 2014
|Mississippi State Senate District 47
| Succeeded by|
State of Mississippi
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Superintendent of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture and Commerce | Executive Director of Environmental Quality | Executive Director of Employment Security | Chairman of Public Service Commission |