The Transportation Committee
is a permanent joint interim committee of the Alabama State Legislature
The Code of Alabama outlines how committees of the Alabama State Legislature are assigned. Some are assigned by the leaders of either chamber, while others are composed of specific leaders and committee chairs.
See rules: Code of Alabama
||The powers and duties of the Joint Transportation Committee shall be the following:
- It shall review and concur in a long-range (five-year) federal-aid highway plan for proposed highway construction of all highways on the state highway system, which long-range plan shall commence with the fiscal year of the state beginning October 1, 1989. Prior to any deviation from the intent of the five-year plan, the Joint Transportation Committee shall review and concur in the deviation, except commitments for highway projects necessary for new or expanded industry. Commitments for these industry projects shall be included in the next quarterly report by the Department of Transportation. The plan shall be updated annually. The plans in appropriate form shall be made available to all government agencies and all members of the public and news media.
- The review and concurrence in annual update of the five-year highway plan shall be accomplished by the Joint Transportation Committee prior to September 1 each year. Failure of the Joint Transportation Committee to concur in the annual update will not prevent the Department of Transportation from proceeding with any project.
- It shall review the budget for highway construction, maintenance, operation, and administration of the Department of Transportation on an annual basis, which budget shall be reviewed not later than the fifteenth legislative day of each annual session of the Legislature.
- It shall issue a report to the Governor, Lieutenant Governor, House of Representatives, Senate, and public within the first 10 legislative days of each annual regular legislative session, comparing actual performance of the Department of Transportation in terms of highway construction, maintenance, and costs of the same, to the original plan for the immediate preceding fiscal year.
- It shall recommend to the Governor necessary funding for Department of Transportation budgets to the extent necessary beyond funds already provided by law.
||The committee shall consist of seven members of the Senate appointed by the President of the Senate and seven members of the House of Representatives appointed by the Speaker of the House of Representatives, one senator and one house member to be a resident of each present United States congressional district in the state. Members of the Joint Transportation Committee shall be appointed within five legislative days after the convening of the first regular session after the election of each Legislature. Members shall hold office during their terms as legislators and until their successors are appointed.