U.S. Conference of Mayors
The stated goals of the U.S. Conference of Mayors are:
- Promote the development of effective national urban/suburban policy;
- Strengthen federal-city relationships;
- Ensure that federal policy meets urban needs;
- Provide mayors with leadership and management tools; and
- Create a forum in which mayors can share ideas and information.
The conference also aims to create a strong business community in cities by promoting public-private partnerships for strengthening the economy.
Budget and funding
Crowd sourcing 2009 proposals
In 2009, the Conference of Mayors changed the format of their website to allow citizens to write on wiki-style pages about whether or not they supported proposed programs.
- Main article: National government sector lobbying
Economic stimulus package
The USMC detailed $150 billion worth of “shovel-ready” projects for which it wanted American Recovery and Reinvestment Act funds and estimated that these projects would create 1,640,371 jobs during 2008-2010. The USCM was insistent to President Obama and the Congress that the money should go directly to cities and should not be funneled through the states.
The following are the standing committees that discuss, debate and draft USCM positions:
- Children, Health and Human Services
- Community Development and Housing
- Criminal and Social Justice
- International Affairs
- Jobs, Education and the Workforce
- Metro Economies
- Tourism, Arts, Parks, Entertainment and Sports
- Transportation and Communications
The President of the Conference can create a Task Force for the purpose of addressing individual issues requiring the immediate attention of a select group of mayors. Task Forces are not permanent and when a Task Force mission is completed, the Task Force is disbanded and the issue it addresses is typically assigned to a permanent Standing Committee for continued monitoring.
- The Allied Membership Program
- The United States Conference of City Human Services Officials
- Workforce Development Council
- Municipal Waste Management Association (MWMA)
- U.S. Conference of Mayors Urban Water Council
- About the US Conference of Mayors
- The US Conference of Mayors, Five Cities Honored for Exellence and Innovaion, 18 Jan 2009
- Center for Fiscal Accountability, Crowdsourcing the Mayors' Wishlist?, Dec. 15, 2008
- Ready to Go, Release #4
- report Main Street Economic Recovery
- Proposal could put millions in Akron
- Mayors push for stimulus money
- Climate Ark News Archive, Mayors: Green Jobs Will Grow From Obama's Stimulus Plan, 19 Jan 09
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid
Lists of taxpayer-funded lobbying associations
Alabama • Alaska • Arizona • Arkansas • California • Colorado • Connecticut • Delaware • Florida • Georgia • Hawaii • Idaho • Illinois • Indiana • Iowa • Kansas • Kentucky • Louisiana • Maine • Maryland • Massachusetts • Michigan • Minnesota • Mississippi • Missouri • Montana • Nebraska • Nevada • New Hampshire • New Jersey • New Mexico • New York • North Carolina • North Dakota • Ohio • Oklahoma • Oregon • Pennsylvania • Rhode Island • South Carolina • South Dakota • Tennessee • Texas • Utah • Vermont • Virginia • Washington • West Virginia • Wisconsin • Wyoming •