United States House of Representatives Committee on Oversight and Government Reform
- 1 Leadership
- 2 Membership
- 3 Committee legislation
- 4 Notable hearings
- 5 Subcommittees
- 6 Jurisdiction
- 7 Contact
- 8 See also
- 9 External links
- 10 References
2013-2014 (113th Congress)
2011-2012 (112th Congress)
The below chart from Find The Best tracks the legislation coming out of each committee.
Source: This graphic was generated by Find The Best.
In May 2013, the committee held a hearing regarding the events leading up to the deaths of four Americans in Benghazi, Libya in September 2012. A large focus on the investigation is what knowledge various high ranking officials in President Obama's cabinet had.
- Full name of subcommittee: Economic Growth, Job Creation, and Regulatory Affairs
Jurisdiction: Legislative jurisdiction over federal paperwork reduction, data quality, and the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs. The Subcommittee also has oversight jurisdiction over regulatory affairs, stimulus policy, federal spending, education, agriculture, and communications policy.
|Subcommittee on Economic Growth, Job Creation, and Regulatory Affairs Members, 2013-2014|
|Democratic members (6)||Republican members (12)|
|Matt Cartwright Ranking Member||Jim Jordan Chairman|
|Tammy Duckworth||John Duncan|
|Gerald Connolly||Patrick McHenry|
|Robin Kelly||Paul Gosar|
|Danny K. Davis||Patrick Meehan|
|Steven Horsford||Scott DesJarlais|
- Full name of subcommittee: Energy Policy, Health Care & Entitlements
Jurisdiction: The federal government’s role in domestic energy production, the health care system and entitlement programs. This subcommittee also conducts oversight of the Administration’s implementation of Obamacare and issues pertaining to the unsustainable trajectory of America’s entitlements, including Medicare, Medicaid and federal disability programs.
- 113th Congress Chair: James Lankford (OK-05)
|Subcommittee on Energy Policy, Health Care & Entitlements Members, 2013-2014|
|Democratic members (9)||Republican members (12)|
|Jackie Speier Ranking Member||James Lankford Chairman|
|Danny K. Davis||Paul Gosar|
|Eleanor Holmes Norton||Blake Farenthold|
|Jim Cooper||Doc Hastings|
|Matt Cartwright||Jason Chaffetz|
|Michelle Lujan Grisham||Jim Jordan|
|Steven Horsford||Pat Meehan|
|Tammy Duckworth||Patrick McHenry|
|Tony Cardenas||Rob Woodall|
- Full name of subcommittee: Federal Workforce, U.S. Postal Service and Labor Policy
Jurisdiction: Legislative jurisdiction over the federal civil service and the U.S. Postal Service. The Subcommittee also has oversight jurisdiction over labor policy.
|Subcommittee on Federal Workforce, U.S. Postal Service, and The Census Members, 2013-2014|
|Democratic members (3)||Republican members (5)|
|Stephen Lynch Ranking Member||Blake Farenthold Chairman|
|Eleanor Norton||Tim Walberg|
|William Lacy Clay||Trey Gowdy|
Jurisdiction: Legislative jurisdiction over the government management and accounting measures, the economy, efficiency, and management of government operations and activities (other than procurement and data standards), federal property, and reorganizations of the executive branch.
|Subcommittee on Government Organization Members, 2013-2014|
|Democratic members (2)||Republican members (5)|
|Gerald Connolly Ranking Member||John Mica Chairman|
|Jim Cooper||Michael Turner|
- Full name of subcommittee: National Security, Homeland Defense and Foreign Operations
Jurisdiction: Oversight jurisdiction over national security, homeland security, foreign operations, immigration, and emergency management.
|Subcommittee on National Security, Homeland Defense and Foreign Operations Members, 2013-2014|
|Democratic members (7)||Republican members (9)|
|John Tierney Ranking Member||Jason Chaffetz Chairman|
|Carolyn Maloney||John Mica|
|Jackie Speier||John Duncan|
|Michelle Grisham||Justin Amash|
|Peter Welch||Paul Gosar|
|Robin Kelly||Trey Gowdy|
|Stephen Lynch||Cynthia Lummis|
The following subcommittees were discontinued in the 113th Congress.
- Full name of subcommittee: TARP, Financial Services and Bailouts of Public and Private Programs
Jurisdiction: Oversight jurisdiction over financial and monetary policy, banking, housing, and insurance regulation, financial crisis and rescues, and tax policy.
- 112th Congress Chair: Patrick T. McHenry (NC-10)
- Full name of subcommittee: Technology, Information Policy, Intergovernmental Relations and Procurement Reform
Jurisdiction: Legislative jurisdiction over public information, including Freedom of Information and Advisory Committees, federal information technology and data standards, procurement and grant reform, the relationship between the federal government and states and municipalities, including unfunded mandates. The subcommittee also has oversight jurisdiction over public broadcasting.
- 112th Congress Chair: James Lankford (OK-5)
- Full name of subcommittee: Health Care, District of Columbia, Census and the National Archives
Jurisdiction: Legislative jurisdiction over Drug Policy, the District of Columbia, the Census Bureau, and federal records (including the National Archives and Records Administration and the Presidential Records Act). The subcommittee also has oversight jurisdiction over federal health care policy, food and drug safety, public support for the arts, libraries and museums, criminal justice, and transportation.
- 112th Congress Chair: Trey Gowdy (SC-4)
According to the official House website, the jurisdiction of the Oversight and Government Reform Committee includes the following:
- the District of Columbia, the government procurement process, federal personnel systems, the Postal Service, etc.
- oversight of virtually everything government does – from national security to homeland security grants, from federal workforce policies to regulatory reform and reorganization authority, from information technology procurements at individual agencies to government-wide data security standards.
2157 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515
Phone: (202) 225-5074
Fax: (202) 225-3974
- Official House Page
- Committee Minority House Page
- Official Committee Facebook Page
- Committee Minority Facebook Page
- Official Committee Twitter Account
- Committee Minority Twitter Account
- Official Committee Youtube Channel
- Committee Minority Youtube Channel
- Committee profile on Congress Merge
- Committee profile on Govtrack
- Committee profile on Legistorm
- Politico, "House committee chairs all men," November 28, 2012
- Committee on Oversight & Government Reform, "About the Oversight Committee" accessed January 2012
- Washington Post, "The Benghazi hearing live blog," May 8, 2013
- Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, Rep. Elijah Cummings, Ranking Member, 112th Congress, "Subcommittees" accessed January 2012
- Oversight & Government Reform Committee, "Subcommittee on Energy Policy, Health Care & Entitlements," accessed February 28, 2014