United States Senate elections in Massachusetts, 2014
November 4, 2014
September 9, 2014
The election is being held to fill the Class 2 Senate seat held by Ed Markey (D). Markey was first elected in a special election on June 25, 2013. The election was held to replace John Kerry, who was appointed to the position of Secretary of State.
Markey faces no opposition in the primary election.
|Candidate Filing Deadline||Primary Election||General Election|
Primary: Massachusetts is one of 21 states with a mixed primary system. Unaffiliated voters are allowed to vote in the primary election. They may choose which party ballot they wish to vote on and still remain unaffiliated.
- See also: Massachusetts elections, 2014
Incumbent: The election is being held to fill the Class 2 Senate seat held by Ed Markey (D). Markey was first elected in a special election on June 25, 2013. The election was held to replace John Kerry, who was appointed to the position of Secretary of State.
Reports circulated in September 2013 that Gomez was mulling a re-match against Ed Markey (D) in 2014. Gomez lost to Markey by 10 points in the special election for the vacant Senate seat in 2013.
Below are important votes the current incumbent cast during the 113th Congress.
- See also: United States budget debate, 2013
During the shutdown in October 2013, the Senate rejected, down party lines, every House-originated bill that stripped the budget of funding for the Affordable Care Act. A deal was reached late on October 16, 2013, just hours before the debt ceiling deadline. The bill to reopen the government, H.R. 2775, lifted the $16.7 trillion debt limit and funded the government through January 15, 2014. Federal employees also received retroactive pay for the shutdown period. The only concession made by Senate Democrats was to require income verification for Obamacare subsidies. The final vote on H.R. 2775 was 81-18, with all 18 votes against the bill from Republican members. Markey voted with the Democratic Party for the bill.
Herr files ethics complaint
Brian Herr (R) issued a statement on March 17, 2014, saying he has filed a complaint against incumbent Ed Markey with the Senate ethics committee. Herr accused Markey of using his position to manipulate stock. Markey has been under fire for writing letters to federal regulators urging an investigation into the nutritional supplement firm Herbalife.
"All you have to do is connect the dots to easily see that Sen. Markey used his public office to manipulate the stock of a publicly traded company in order to financially benefit a campaign donor," Herr said.
On June 25, 2013, Ed Markey won election to the United States Senate seat vacated by John Kerry, after his confirmation by the U.S. Senate to the position of Secretary of State. He defeated Gabriel Gomez and Richard Heos in the general election.
|U.S. Senate, Massachusetts General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Scott Brown Incumbent||45.8%||1,458,048|
|Source: Massachusetts Secretary of State "Return of Votes"|
- United States House of Representatives elections in Massachusetts, 2014
- United States Senate elections, 2014
- Secretary of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Website, "Massachusetts Directory of Political Parties and Designations," accessed January 3, 2014
- Secretary of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Website, "Voter Registration Information," accessed January 3, 2014
- Masslive.com "Independent Bruce Skarin enters U.S. Senate race, challenging Sen. Ed Markey with walking campaign across Massachusetts," accessed February 15, 12014
- Masslive.com, "Republican Frank Addivinola launches campaign for U.S. Senate seat held by Ed Markey," accessed February 19, 2014
- Milford Daily News, "Addivinola anounces run for U.S. Senate seat," accessed February 19, 2014
- Mark Inman for Senate Facebook page, "Info," accessed May 13, 2014
- Politico, "Gabriel Gomez mulls rematch vs. Ed Markey," accessed September 19, 2013
- The Washington Post, "Reid, McConnell propose bipartisan Senate bill to end shutdown, extend borrowing," accessed October 16, 2013
- Senate.gov, "H.R. 2775 As Amended," accessed October 31, 2013
- NewsMax, "Democratic Sen. Ed Markey Accused of Using Office to Manipulate Stock," accessed March 19, 2014
- Brian Herr for Congress, "Republican lodges ethics complaint against rival over Herbalife," accessed March 19, 2014
- Boston Globe ,"" December 27, 2012
- Yahoo news, "Mo Cowan appointed interim U.S. senator for Massachusetts"
- U.S. Congress House Clerk, "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 4, 2008," accessed March 28, 2013