"To do list"
Hi PaulD, I started a "Ballotpedia:To do list" in the hopes that it will provide an easy way for people unfamiliar with BP to start adding and/or organizing content. I think it can also serve as a touchpoint for regular BP contributors to make sure they are all on the same wavelength. Let me know what you think! Gardengnome
Ballot measures by year
Hi PaulD, I'm trying to update the "YEAR ballot measures" (for example: 1982 ballot measures) pages to be a complete list of the measures in each year. Would you be able to help out by adding Massachusetts measures to the year lists? Gardengnome 18:06, 9 September 2008 (UTC)
- Thanks! Gardengnome
PaulD, welcome to Ballotpedia!
We're glad you're here. Here's how to get started:
1. Watch Ballotpedia's 5-minute overview.
2. Learn more about how you can contribute to our monthly projects.
February's Project of the Month
Recently, President Obama gave his yearly State of the Union address. At Ballotpedia, we collect similar speeches made by many governors: the "State of the State." In Iowa, it is called the "Condition of the State" and in Kentucky, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania and Virginia it is known as "State of the Commonwealth." Whichever name it goes by, these speeches are delivered to the state legislature and fulfill the requirement in most state constitutions that the governor must deliver an annual report to the legislature.
These speeches outline what a governor's priorities are for a particular year, notes some of the struggles their state may have faced in the past year or address some specific national trend.
This month, we are asking for your help in collecting speeches from past years.
The steps are easy
- Find the text of a state of the state address given prior to 2011 and copy the link. For these older addresses, you'll get to do some deeper research in each state's historical archives.
- On another browser tab or new window, open the State of the state addresses page and click the "Edit" tab on the top of the page.
- In the code, scroll down past the 2015 information and find the year you want to add to.
- Add a line for your state and input the link. Using an asterisk in the code creates a bullet point on the wiki. A single set of brackets [ ] creates a link to an external website. Inside the brackets, paste the link, press the space bar, and insert the name of the state you're adding.
- Click "Preview" at the bottom of the page to make sure your changes look good, and then click "Save" and you're done!
Click here to see an example of the wiki-code.
Have a question? Contact us at email@example.com.
3. Find an article you'd like to improve.
4. Start editing!
You can also view tutorials on how to edit, or contact us.
Welcome to our community! --Bailey Ludlam, Ballotpedia's managing editor
Massachusetts Sensible Marijuana Policy Initiative (2008)
Hey paul, I just wanted to touch base with you. I think I removed some of your edits to the opposition section as well as the controversy section. I just wanted to drop you a note and let you know I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers, Im just trying to keep the page more fact based as much as I can rather then he said this and she said that quotes. It looks like both of these sides may say some things that are a bit stretching the truth to put it lightly. If possible it would be awesome if we try to source direct sources to the facts/studies/endorsements referred to by them rather then either of thier opinions. If Im out of line or deleted too much accidently and you really need something in there either hit me up on my discussion page or the page for the article and we can get it taken care of. thanks -Hitman6999 07:51, 20 September 2008 (UTC)
They sure had a lot of ballot measures in Alaska about whether or not to move the state capital, didn't they? There are still a few we don't have articles about yet. I'm planning to write a summary of the whole deal when we have articles about all the specific ones. January 12:00, 10 December 2008 (CST)
Great work! January 19:39, 27 January 2009 (CST)
This discussion page has been protected from further postings.