Utah Superintendent of Public Instruction
|Utah Superintendent of Public Instruction|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2013 FY Budget:||$3,650,687,600|
|Length of term:||Serves at the pleasure of the Board of Education|
|Authority:||Utah Constitution, Article X, Section 3|
|Selection Method:||Appointed by the State Board of Education|
|Assumed office:||January 1, 2013|
|Other Utah Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Attorney General •Treasurer • Auditor • Superintendent of Education • Agriculture Commissioner • Insurance Commissioner • Natural Resources Commissioner • Labor Commissioner • Public Service Commission|
Article X, Section 3:
|The State Board of Education shall appoint a State Superintendent of Public Instruction who shall be the executive officer of the board.|
Qualifications for the officer of superintendent are provided by Utah statute.
Under Chapter 1, Section 301:
|The board shall appoint the state superintendent on the basis of outstanding professional qualifications.|
Although the superintendent was an elected position under Article VII, Section 1 in the original state constitution, later amendments to Article X provided for the State Board of Education to appoint the superintendent.
Details of the superintendent's appointment are elaborated through statute.
|The State Board of Education shall appoint a superintendent of public instruction, hereinafter called the state superintendent, who is the executive officer of the board and serves at the pleasure of the board.|
In the event of a vacancy in the office, the State Board of Education shall fill the vacancy by appointment.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches the constitutional or statutory text that outlines the key responsibilities of a state executive office. That information for the Utah Superintendent of Public Instruction has not yet been added. After extensive research we were unable to identify any relevant information on state official websites. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
- Adult Education
- Career & Technical Education
- Curriculum & Instruction
- Educator Quality & Licensing
- General Educational Development (G.E.D.)
The budget for Public Education in Fiscal Year 2013 was $3,650,687,600.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the Utah Superintendent of Public Instruction has not yet been added because the information was unavailable on the relevant state official websites, or we are currently in the process of formatting the list for this office. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term Utah + Superintendent + Public + Instruction"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
Utah State Office of Education
250 East 500 South
P.O. Box 144200
Salt Lake City, UT 84114-4200
Phone: (801) 538-7500
- Superintendent of Schools
- Martell Menlove
- Utah school districts
- Utah Department of Education
- Public education in Utah
- Utah Department of Education
- Official K-12 public school blog from the Utah State Board of Education and Utah State Office of Education
- Utah Code, "53A-1-301. Appointment -- Qualifications -- Duties.," accessed May 21, 2012
- Salt Lake Tribune, "Martell Menlove picked as state schools superintendent," October 9, 2012
- Utah State Legislature, "Utah Code 53-1-301 State System of Public Education," accessed June 26, 2012
- Governor's Office of Planning and Budget, "2013 Budget Summary – Tables," accessed April 6, 2013
- Council of State Governments, "SELECTED STATE ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICIALS: ANNUAL SALARIES," accessed December 8, 2014
- Council of State Governments, "SELECTED STATE ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICIALS: ANNUAL SALARIES," January 29, 2014