Utah Superintendent of Public Instruction
|Utah Superintendent of Public Instruction|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2013 FY Budget:||$3,650,687,600|
|Length of term:||Serves at the pleasure of the Board of Education|
|Authority:||Utah Constitution, Article X, Section 3|
|Selection Method:||Appointed by the State Board of Education|
|Assumed office:||January 1, 2013|
|Other Utah Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Attorney General •Treasurer • Auditor • Superintendent of Education • Agriculture Commissioner • Insurance Commissioner • Natural Resources Commissioner • Labor Commissioner • Public Service Commission|
Article X, Section 3:
|The State Board of Education shall appoint a State Superintendent of Public Instruction who shall be the executive officer of the board.|
Qualifications for the officer of superintendent are provided by Utah statute.
Under Chapter 1, Section 301:
|The board shall appoint the state superintendent on the basis of outstanding professional qualifications.|
Although the superintendent was an elected position under Article VII, Section 1 in the original state constitution, later amendments to Article X provided for the State Board of Education to appoint the superintendent.
Details of the superintendent's appointment are elaborated through statute.
|The State Board of Education shall appoint a superintendent of public instruction, hereinafter called the state superintendent, who is the executive officer of the board and serves at the pleasure of the board.|
In the event of a vacancy in the office, the State Board of Education shall fill the vacancy by appointment.
- Adult Education
- Career & Technical Education
- Curriculum & Instruction
- Educator Quality & Licensing
- General Educational Development (G.E.D.)
The budget for Public Education in Fiscal Year 2013 was $3,650,687,600.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
Utah State Office of Education
250 East 500 South
P.O. Box 144200
Salt Lake City, UT 84114-4200
Phone: (801) 538-7500
- Utah Department of Education
- Official K-12 public school blog from the Utah State Board of Education and Utah State Office of Education
- ↑ Utah Code, "53A-1-301. Appointment -- Qualifications -- Duties.," accessed May 21, 2012
- ↑ Salt Lake Tribune "Martell Menlove picked as state schools superintendent," October 9, 2012
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Utah State Legislature, "Utah Code 53-1-301 State System of Public Education," accessed June 26, 2012
- ↑ Governor's Office of Planning and Budget, "2013 Budget Summary – Tables," accessed April 6, 2013