|Nevada State Senate, Clark 3|
|1997 - 2012|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2008|
|Term limits||3 terms (12 years)|
|Master's||University of Missouri, Columbia, 1972; University of Illinois, Springfield, 1974|
|Place of birth||Las Vegas, NV|
Wiener earned her bachelor's degree from the University of Missouri, Columbia, in 1971. She went on to receive her M.A. in Journalism from the University of Missouri, Columbia, in 1972. She then earned her M.A. in Contemporary Literature from the University of Illinois, Springfield, in 1974. She also attended the McGeorge School of Law of the University of the Pacific from 1976 to 1979.
Wiener was Owner/Vice President of Broadcast Associates from 1972 to 1986. She was also Press Secretary for the United States Senate/House from 1983 to 1988. In 1991 she was an Author for the National Federation of Press Women. She has been Owner/President/CEO of Wiener Communications Group since 1988 and Power Mark Publishing since 1998. She is also currently a Speaker, Positioning Strategist, Consultant, and Author.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Wiener served on these committees:
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Wiener served on these committees:
In 2012, Wiener was one of four senators and one representative to be the first senators and representatives term limited by Nevada's 1996 amendment. The 1996 amendment did not go into affect until canvassed by the Supreme Court on November 27, 1996, so legislators elected that year -- and sworn in on November 5, 1996 -- were not affected by the bill until their re-election in 2000.
|Nevada State Senate, Clark 3 District (2008)|
|Valerie Wiener (D)||14,905||64.48%|
|Nevada State Senate, Clark 3 District (2004)|
|Valerie Wiener (D)||15,747||61.01%|
|Nevada State Senate, Clark 3 District (2000)|
|Valerie Wiener (D)||12,323||62.34%|
In 2008, Wiener collected $148,732 in donations.
Her five largest contributors in 2008 were:
|Plumbers and Pipefitters Local 525||$5,000|
|Clark County Education Association||$5,000|
|South Point Hotel and Casino||$5,000|
Nevada Policy Research Institute
The Nevada Policy Research Institute, a Nevada-based conservative-libertarian think tank, releases a "Legislative Report Card" evaluating members of the Nevada State Legislature on "each lawmaker's voting record on legislation impacting the degree of economic freedom and education reform." Bills determined by the Institute to be of greater significance are weighted accordingly. According to the Institute, "a legislator with a score above 50 is considered to be an ally of economic liberty".
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Valerie + Wiener + Nevada + Senate" Valerie Wiener News Feed
- Valerie Wiener official campaign website
- Valerie Wiener official Nevada State Senate website
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative Profile from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2010, 2008, 2006, 2004, 2000, 1996
- Nevada State Senate Democratic Caucus biographical profile
- www.lvrj.com Term limits cases argued, Jul. 2, 2008
- Nevada Secretary of State, "2008 General Election Results," accessed May 5, 2014
- Nevada Secretary of State - 2004 General Election Results
- Nevada Secretary of State, "2000 General Election Results," accessed May 5, 2014
- 2008 contributions to Valerie Wiener
- Nevada Policy Research Institute, "The 2011 Nevada Legislative Session Review & Report Card," accessed May 5, 2014
|Nevada State Senate, Clark 3 District
| Succeeded by|
Tick Segerblom (D)