|Board member, Higley Unified School District Governing Board, At-large|
|Years in position||7|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 2, 2010|
|First elected||November 7, 2006|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Bachelor's||Arizona State University|
|Master's||Arizona State University|
Venessa Whitener is an at-large member of the Higley Unified School District Governing Board. First elected to the position on November 7, 2006, she is running for re-election in the November 4, 2014, general election.
While the governing board is a nonpartisan political body, Whitener was a Republican candidate for District 21 of the Arizona House of Representatives. She lost the Republican primary election on August 24, 2010.
Whitener holds a B.S. in secondary biology education and an M.S. in educational leadership from Arizona State University. She has worked as a teacher and coach for elementary and high schools. She is a member of the Arizona School Board Delegation for Congressional District 6, a Federal Relations Network Representative, a Board Fellow Mentor for Teach for America and an Arizona Flinn Foundation Leadership Academy honoree. 
Whitener's family includes her husband, Scott, and their three sons. Their sons attend Cortina and Centennial Schools.
Two at-large seats are up for election in 2014. Incumbent Venessa Whitener is running for re-election. Fellow incumbent Kim Anderson did not file to run in the election. Greg Wojtovich, Michelle Anderson and Rebecca Jarman join Whitener on the ballot.
This election will take place on November 4, 2014.
Whitener reported $60.00 in contributions and $31.17 in expenditures to the Maricopa County Recorder's office, which left her campaign with $28.83 on hand.
Whitener has not received any official endorsements.
The 2010 governing board election was cancelled because Whitener and fellow incumbent Kim Anderson ran unopposed to retain their seats.
Whitener was first elected to the Highley Unified School District Governing Board on November 7, 2006.
|Higley Unified School District, At-Large General Election, 4-year term, 2010|
|Nonpartisan||Kim Anderson Incumbent||41.2%||4,503|
|Nonpartisan||Greg F. Land||28.2%||3,085|
|Source: Maricopa County Recorder, "General Election November 7, 2006, Final Official Results," November 19, 2006|
About the district
- See also: Higley Unified School District, Arizona
Maricopa County slightly overperformed compared to the rest of Arizona in terms of higher education achievement in 2012. The United States Census Bureau found that 29.5 percent of Maricopa County residents aged 25 years and older had attained a bachelor's degree compared to 26.6 percent for Arizona as a whole. The median household income for the county was $54,385 compared to $50,256 statewide. The poverty rate in Maricopa County was 15.8 percent compared to 17.2 percent statewide.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one or two tenths off from being exactly 100 percent.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Venessa + Whitener + Higley + Unified + School + District"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Maricopa County Recorder, "GENERAL ELECTION November 7, 2006, Summary Report," November 19, 2006
- Higley Unified School District, "Governing Board: Mrs. Venessa Whitener," accessed September 24, 2014
- Maricopa County Education Service Agency, "Filed Candidate Listing," August 6, 2014
- Maricopa County Recorder, "Campaign Finance Document Search," accessed September 24, 2014
- The Arizona Republic, "Uncontested Higley school-board race won't be on ballot," September 16, 2010
- United States Census Bureau, "Maricopa County, Arizona, Quick Facts," accessed August 18, 2014
- Maricopa County Recorder, "Maricopa County Election Results Archives," accessed August 18, 2014
- Arizona Secretary of State, "Official Canvas of Votes for 2000 General Election," November 27, 2000
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
|2014 Higley Unified School District Election|
|Maricopa County, Arizona|
|Election date:||November 4, 2014|
|Candidates:||At-large:• Incumbent, Venessa Whitener • Greg Wojtovich • Michelle Anderson • Rebecca Jarman|
|Important information:||Key deadlines • Additional elections on the ballot|