|Indiana State Senate District 40|
|Assistant Democratic Leader|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 2008|
|J.D.||Indiana University School of Law|
|Birthday||March 18, 1946|
Simpson was Monroe County Auditor for Bloomington, Indiana, from 1981 to 1984. She then worked as President of Vi Simpson and Company from 1982 to 1988. She has been Executive Director of the Heritage Education Foundation since 1989.
Simpson attended California State University, Hayward. She went on to earn her LLB from Indiana University School of Law in 1994.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Simpson served on these committees:
- Health and Provider Services
- Insurance and Financial Institutions
- Joint Rules
- Rules and Legislative Procedure
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Simpson served on these committees:
- Health and Provider Services Committee, Indiana State Senate
- Insurance and Financial Institutions Committee, Indiana State Senate
- Joint Rules Committee, Indiana State Senate
- Rules and Legislative Procedure Committee, Indiana State Senate
Sen. Simpson reflects on first half of 2011 session
- See also: Indiana State Senate elections, 2012
Simpson ran in the 2012 election for Indiana State Senate District 40. Simpson ran unopposed in the Democratic primary on May 8, 2012,but had to withdraw from the race when she was named the Democratic nominee for Lieutenant Governor.
|Governor/Lieutenant Governor of Indiana General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||John Gregg / Vi Simpson||46.6%||1,200,016|
|Republican||Mike Pence / Sue Ellspermann||49.5%||1,275,424|
|Libertarian||Rupert Boneham / Brad Klopfenstein||4%||101,868|
|Independent||Donnie Harold Harris / George Fish||0%||21|
|Election Results via Indiana Secretary of State.|
- Economic Development:
In a debate on August 15, 2012, Simpson advocated for using gas tax revenue only for transportation, while paying for the Bureau of Motor Vehicles and the Indiana State Police through the state general fund. Doing this, she said, would give Indiana an additional $178 million a year to spend on infrastructure.
- "War on Women:"
On August 10, 2012, Simpson said there was a war on women in Indiana that needed to be addressed. The last four years, she said, had been “dreadful and that women are this close to going back to the 1960s and ’70s when they fought for financial independence, educational opportunities and access to health care."
Simpson's endorsements included the following:
- IN AFL-CIO
|Indiana State Senate, District 40 General Election, 2008|
|Democratic||Vi Simpson Incumbent||70%||41,120|
Simpson lost the election to the position of Lieutenant Governor of Indiana in 2012. During that election cycle, Simpson raised a total of $422,843.
|Lieutenant Governor of Indiana 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Vi Simpson's campaign in 2012|
|Simpson for State Senate Committee||$125,000|
|Ann M. Stack||$35,000|
|Deborah J. Simon||$25,000|
|Total Raised in 2012||$422,843|
|Source:Follow the Money|
In 2008, Simpson collected $113,872 in donations.
Listed below are those that contributed most to her campaign.
|Indiana Association of Realtors||$3,500|
|Indiana Hospital Association||$3,000|
|American Federation of State County & Municipal Employees||$2,500|
|Indiana State Medical Association||$2,500|
|Indiana Motor Truck Association||$2,250|
|Indiana State Conference of Electrical Workers||$2,250|
|Indiana Statewide Association of Rural Electric Cooperatives||$2,000|
|United Union of Roofers & Waterproofers||$2,000|
|Indiana Beverage Alliance||$1,800|
|Indiana Trial Lawyers Association||$1,500|
|Indiana Builders Association||$1,500|
|Wine & Spirits Wholesalers of Indiana||$1,500|
|Indiana Bankers Association||$1,500|
|Indiana Healthcare Association||$1,400|
|Blue Ace Media||$1,398|
|Professional Fire Fighters Union of Indiana||$1,250|
|Indiana Family Wineries||$1,000|
|Indiana Dental Association||$1,000|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Vi + Simpson + Indiana + Senate
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
Simpson and her husband, Bill McCarty, have two children.
- Official Indiana State Senate website of Vi Simpson
- Legislative Profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Vi Simpson on LinkedIn
- Vi Simpson on Twitter
- Campaign Contributions: 2012 (Lt. Gov.), 2012 (Senate), 2010, 2008, 2006, 2004, 2002, 2000, 1998, 1996
- Indy Star, "In Indiana, both Republican, Democratic gubernatorial candidates pick female running mates," May 22, 2012
- Indiana Secretary of State, "List of May 8, 2012, primary candidates," accessed March 6, 2014
- Indiana Secretary of State, Official Primary Results
- WIBC, "Picks for Lieutenant Governor, Secretary of State Mean Ballot Shuffle," June 20, 2012
- Evansville Courier & Press, "Indiana lieutenant governor candidates debate at state fair" August 15, 2012
- NWI Times, "Lieutenant governor candidate says women must fight extremism," August 10, 2012
- Gregg for Governor, "IN AFL-CIO Endorses Gregg-Simpson Ticket," June 25, 2012
- Indiana Secretary of State, "Indiana Senate official election results for 2008," accessed March 6, 2014
- Simpson Campaign Donors
|Indiana State Senate District 40
| Succeeded by|
Mark Stoops (D)