Virginia State Corporation Commission
|Virginia State Corporation Commission|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2012 FY Budget:||$88,250,490|
|Length of term:||6 years|
|Authority:||Virginia Constitution, Article IX, Section 1|
|Selection Method:||Elected by the General Assembly|
|Other Virginia Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Superintendent of Education • Agriculture Commissioner • Insurance Commissioner • Natural Resources Commissioner • Labor Commissioner • Public Service Commission|
|There shall be a permanent commission which shall be known as the State Corporation Commission and which shall consist of three members|
Article IX, Section 1 of the Virginia Constitution stipulates that at least one member of the Commission must possess the qualifications prescribed for judges of courts of record.
Commissioners are elected by the General Assembly and for terms of six years.
The commissions duties are addressed in Title 12.1, Chapter 3, Section 12 of the Code of Virginia:
"... Except as may be otherwise prescribed by law, the Commission shall be charged with the duty of administering the laws made for the regulation and control of corporations doing business in this Commonwealth. Subject to such criteria and other requirements as may be prescribed by law, the Commission shall have the power and be charged with the duty of regulating the rates, charges, services, and facilities of all public service companies...."
The budget for the State Corporation Commission in Fiscal Year 2012 was $88,250,490.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
Exempt from FOIA laws
The Virginia Supreme Court ruled in the 2011 case of Christian v. SCC that the Virginia Freedom of Information Act does not apply to the State Corporation Commission. The court stated that since the SCC's authority comes not from the legislature but is created in the Virginia Constitution, it is not considered a "public body" and is therefore exempt from public records law.
1300 E. Main St.
Richmond, Virginia 23219
State Corporation Commission
P.O. Box 1197
Richmond, Virginia 23218
- ↑ Virginia General Assembly, "Code of Virginia Title 12.1," accessed January 9, 2013
- ↑ Virginia General Assembly, "Code of Virginia: Powers and Duties Generally," accessed January 9, 2013
- ↑ Virginia State Corporation Commission, "About the commissioners," accessed September 8, 2011
- ↑ Virginia Budget Appropriations Database, "Final Budget for the 2010-2012 Biennium," accessed April 5, 2013
- ↑ The Council of State Governments,"The Book of States 2010 Table 4.11," retrieved November 4, 2012
- ↑ Washington Post, "Cuccinelli says attorney general’s office is exempt from Virginia public records laws," May 19, 2013
- ↑ Justia US Law, "Christian v. State Corp. Comm'n," November 4, 2011